Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Coal Fired Oven in Australia

I saw a similar shapped gas fired pizza oven just they other day. It was about 2.5 feet deep and maybe 5 or 6 feet long. They had fire at both ends, so there might have been another pile of coal at the other end.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Journeyman

I have seen many a pizza oven fired with coal. Here in Arizona, a hundred or so miles away from the grand canyon is a huge coal mine run by Peabody and owned by the local Native Americans. For scouting trips in years gone by, I would buy a large chunk o coal at a shop up in Flagstaff for fires. Pretty colored flames - tip to metals in the coal! Burns well though.

I personally do not or would not use coal. If you look at the trace heavy metals, there is an issue. Maybe overkill, but to me, wood is just fine. Could there be metals in it? Yes, but not Mercury (unless you live near a mercury mine). As for the heavy metals, a local soil analysis would fill you in on that.

As for that coal seam near the ocean- I would avoid (again). In the 1400's that the King of England banned burning sea coal due to the excessive amounts of sulfur which was causing the Queen to have breathing problems (asthma). This was the first air quality regulation that is on the books (a citation can be provided later as it is at work!)

Hope that helps!

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I don't think you want coal flavors in your pizza, but wood flavor is ok..."

I like it. Most of the people who have eaten my coal fired pizza have said that it is the "best pizza they have ever eaten".
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Apprentice

It would seem that although there are a few coal fired restaurants, no one is using coal in their home oven.

It was just an idea to try because there is so much coal in Newcastle. I may have to start my own hole in the back yard and access one of the old mineshafts below to get my own coal

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: Coal Fired Oven in Australia

Dear Paul
Watched the U-Tube vidios.... well seeing is believing... they can certainly cook pizza with coal as a heat source.
But then I started thinking and watched them again... Hows it done?
Now these are commercial ovens notice how low the entrance are in the front? a lot lower than the magic 63% of the roof height This is because they have a chimney inside at the magic 63% that takes the smoke away from the oven and the front of the oven is low enough not to let any out. The dreaded coal fumes are well obove the height of the pizza so no taste left in the pizza. The fire end probably has a air damper and the chimney a damper as well so the process and the fumes are well in controll. No tar tasting pizza I'm sure.
In a home oven.... well you would have to be carefull but the problem of the neighbours getting some fumes well....
Mine are well trained and the pleasant smell of burning Australia gum reminds them not to complain otherwise NO PIZZA...

Regards thanks for getting me thinking
Cobblerdave
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Serf

I use charcoal to fire my pizza oven because I don't hav a flue and I find with wood the amount of smoke is unreal I have already had one neighbor Complain I am thinkingof adding a flue to the front anybody have any other ideas to reduce the smoke
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman72 View Post
I use charcoal to fire my pizza oven because I don't hav a flue and I find with wood the amount of smoke is unreal I have already had one neighbor Complain I am thinkingof adding a flue to the front anybody have any other ideas to reduce the smoke
Stick a heat gun in there on high with the wood, no smoke, well maybe a little.
Get a $20 cheapy from Bunnies.
Attached Thumbnails
Coal Fired Oven in Australia-heat-gun.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-02-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Stick a heat gun in there on high with the wood, no smoke, well maybe a little.
Get a $20 cheapy from Bunnies.

hows that going to work????
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It forces more air into the oven and also heats it up, it turns the oven into a blast furnace.

Try it, I have seriously very little smoke by doing this.
I light all my oven fires with the aid of one..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Serf

Please explain exactly how u do it