Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Choosing and finding wood

stmbt_embers,
Also, you didn't mention whether the wood was cut. Oak is tough to burn in rounds if your fire isn't already very hot. Try chopping it up into small pieces, especially if you are trying to start the fire with it.
Another option is to place your wood in the oven and use a propane tank with a "burner wand" attached. Instant fire, but let your oven heat up before cooking. This is a great option if you are having company for dinner and don't want to get sooty or nurture a fire for 2 hours before they arrive.

Last edited by Bartondad; 05-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Serf

Thanks for the suggestions. The wood I have didn't come split, but I'm in the process of splitting it, and it splits very easily. Yesterday, I did have luck with the fire, started it with a small fire starter, some smaller dry kindling I had behind the house, along with some oak kindling, and was able to build up the fire to burn 2 -3 inch diameter pieces. I have a torch as well to aid in the starting. Much better experience than the previous 2 days! Looking forward to another, hotter fire today, and hopefully my first round of pizzas saturday or sunday.

THanks again
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Serf

Don't know if this is proper but I start a small fire using small pieces of Oak with newpaper underneath and as the logs burn into coals I slowly add larger pieces (quartered logs) on top and hit it with an old hair dryer (on low) and blow air on to establish the fire. Once this starts a nice bed of coals going then the fire burns very nicely. Just what works for me.
-Jesse in ABQ
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I have copy/pasted this for you to read . Most folk make a fire like this at the entrance to the oven under the chimney and when it's underway push it into the oven. Regardless of which method if its works its good.
regards dave
Quote ..I have a very low tech and non accellerant fuel method to start any fire that I build, and I teach the method to all customers that I build masonry heaters and bakeovens for, and anyone that will listen.

We call it the Top down burn, and it is the cleanest burning (as in no clouds of smoke) method to get your appliance's firebox up to speed. Fire start up is typically the dirtiest part of a burn, untill it gets up to speed.

I start by laying the larger diameter pieces of properly dried and stored firewood side by side and parallel to the length of the firebox/oven. Then I add another layer of wood, the pieces smaller in diameter, and perpendicular to and across the top of the first course, sort of log cabin style. Keep the pieces of wood fairly close alongside each other.
I continue adding layers of gradually smaller diameter pieces of wood, finishing it off on top with nice dry kindling. I bring home free scrap lumber from job sites and/or collect dry pine cones from my woods. You can even buy a bundle of low grade cedar shingles for pretty cheap at Home Cheapo.
I then simply light the top.
The fire starts small, and within about 10 minutes, assuming that you are using nice dry and properly dried and stored firewood, there is a fully involved fire going.
The theory is that the wood ignites down the stack of wood when they are hot enough and ready to start to out-gassing.
Just check out your chimney top with a typical start up with lots of newspaper , kindling or an accellerant. Very smoky! Try the top down burn and you will see virtually nothing but steam coming out the chimney.
I have not used newspaper to start any fires (and I have 2 masonry heaters that I use every winter to heat my home and shop, one indoor bakeoven, and one outside pizza oven) in many years, and I have never used an accelerant, just well processed and stored firewood.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-27-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Serf

Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoyd View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks
I am only familiar with mulberry, but a quick google search would suggest that they are all good .

Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Serf

The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calviin_carl View Post
The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?
A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finding woods that impart flavor and making selection between them is the 'problem' - ovens are designed to retain heat for long periods so they actually require surprisingly little wood to get them to temperature.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Laborer

Quote:
A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.
I hear next year a properly built oven in land of OZ will use no wood

Bill