Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Choosing and finding wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
nice dave, good stuff

I just had a thought, wouldn't it be good to have a section for pictures & descriptions of wood from various parts around the world, then people could have a look at pics of wood and match them to woods that would be good & others to stay away from.

there you are FB, my contribution to the forum is on me....lol

Ok people, start us off with some pics of woods (not me,cause i dont have any...yet)
Great Idea , but i think it should be a sticky with sub threads or something set up like the Regional Forums. It would be easier to research your own area that way. Although, I personally think that most could benifit by being given the advice to search their own area on the web for hardwoods and or fruitwoods.
Just Say'n.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is my contribution.....

Native Tree Images Australia, Rainforest Tree Pictures NSW, QLD, VIC

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Apprentice

nice Al, your detail in your presentation is second to none, beautiful use of color, & absolute stunning layout, you must have worked long & hard to put this all together, excellent work Al....your in the wrong trade buddy.

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pete I just pinched the link....... its not my site.... sorry.....

Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Apprentice

i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya

Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya
Good.... I feel better now.....

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Apprentice

I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..

Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..
You do realise that I am so poor that I cant afford to pay attention?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Serf

I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbt_embers View Post
I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!
Cottonwood is some of the worst wood you can get. Has half the BTU value of oak.

If your oak won't burn, it might not really be "seasoned". Suggest you get a moisture meter from Harbor Freight and check the water content. It may need to dry longer.