Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Choosing and finding wood

Just shows you that different woods are abundant in different places, I can't imagine burning mohagany either. We don't grow much of it in the northwest. @Tscarborough-But I do stop short of burning any milled wood also, because you don't know what chemicals its been treated with- especially pallet wood, that I know some people use. Also hardwoods do tend to stay moist longer and are harder to split, but once dry burn longer.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Serf

Our oven is on the way to completion and so starts my hunt for wood. Apple can be bought in Alberta but it's expensive and hard to find... $350 for 1/2 cord delivered split and cut or I can get it in BC for $230/cord (split and cut)... which would cost about $420/cord for me to go pick it up. White Birch is considered our premium local "hard" wood and easy to find. Can seasoned White Birch be used in the forno oven or is the bark too sooty?? Anyone here use it regularly? Also Poplar is easy to get and the least expensive local wood, anyone use that?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As long as it burns Im sure you can use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
As long as it burns Im sure you can use it.
I agree as long as it is virgin wood. But I do strongly caution against any milled or treated wood. Earlier in this thread it was pointed out that pallets are sent overseas and therefore treated with lots of chemicals to keep bugs out. Using light virgin wood kindling to start your fire and then adding the hard woods for longer burning is the most common way to get things up and running, but now I am partial to keeping a propane "wand burner" handy and just using hard wood with a blast of heat to get the it going.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"As long as it burns Im sure you can use it."

Brickie is correct, these things are not fussy. You can burn any kind of normal firewood in them. Since all firewood produces almost the same BTU's per pound, the best value is what ever is cheapest by weight. Ease of hand splitting is also a consideration.

Both the Alberta white birch and poplar will work just fine.

Last edited by Neil2; 06-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Serf

Forno Gator - If you don't mind me asking where did you locate the apple wood in BC? I've been trying to find some for the BBQ but haven't had any luck so far.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Serf

Just went and had a one day class at Antica Pizzeria, They use only walnut wood. They purchase it from

California Charcoal & Firewood
1518 S Eastern Ave.
Commerce, CA 90040
Tel: 323 260-5390.

They are really nice people and sell it on a 43-47lb bag, each log 16-18 inches for $13 per bag. The have a nice assortment, check out their website!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad to hear that you found walnut.. Let us know how it burns. I've been told that the amount of calories in the wood relates directly to the weight / density of the dry wood.. Is it heavier than oak?

Chris
Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Journeyman

Another source of wood is arborists and tree trimming firms. I picked up a load of mesquite for free. I also watch craigslist during this time of the year in the FREE (one of my favorite words) section. Last week I scored a cord of mesquite as well.

I am still looking to get a chainsaw and get me some oak for a change (tired of smelling like smoked meat after getting the fire set up). I am hoping to talk with some of the Pecan Orchard guys for some limbs as well - used to get it for free when I was in college. Getting Hickory is out of the question due to cost in Aridzona though.

Follow my build
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherhum View Post
Forno Gator - If you don't mind me asking where did you locate the apple wood in BC? I've been trying to find some for the BBQ but haven't had any luck so far.
I checked the ad from BC and it is no longer active. I've e-mailed him and am waiting for a response. I believe it is in Kelowna BC.