Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Choosing and finding wood

Yes, I paid over $100 for the same amount of wood a few months ago so it's great when you can get it for free. Whilst it is a bit of a hassle to cut and stack it ... then wait for a good few months before you use it, I still believe it is worth the effort. If you can replenish the supply on a regular basis you can actually become self sufficient in wood which is great.

Rossco
Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I went by my former house today - there was a couple weeks worth of wood in large branches laying on the ground.

Okay, I've officially lost it - I actually looked at it and wondered if I had room on the trailer. I don't even have an oven yet!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Okay, I've officially lost it - I actually looked at it and wondered if I had room on the trailer. I don't even have an oven yet!
Just wait ... the obsession will only get worse with time ... and out of control once you get the oven .. trust me... I know!!!

Rossco
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Serf

I just started firing my oven and noticed this post. I am a small furniture manufacture and always have a barrel of 4-5" pieced near the chop saw. Since there is no aftermarket for recycling this product, it goes in the trash. We use primarily alder which has worked great in the oven.

Check your area for local furniture or cabinet shops and I'm certain they would rather give it to you as apposed to paying to have it hauled off in the trash.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

Stairs and flooring guys too. But not manufactured flooring. Unfinished oak or maple are a best bet.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificfurn View Post
I just started firing my oven and noticed this post. I am a small furniture manufacture and always have a barrel of 4-5" pieced near the chop saw. Since there is no aftermarket for recycling this product, it goes in the trash. We use primarily alder which has worked great in the oven.

Check your area for local furniture or cabinet shops and I'm certain they would rather give it to you as apposed to paying to have it hauled off in the trash.
Is this wood not treated with chemicals thereby making it unsuitable for use in the WFO?

I only use super dry wood straight from the bush which I know does not contain any contaminants - as attractive as the idea of recycling and cost saving is...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I doubt it's treated unless they're making outdoor furniture with PTL for some reason.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Serf

Rarely is lumber treated before it is made into furniture. We manufacture upholstered furniture and the lumber is kiln dried and dimensioned. Makes for a hot fire with no pops
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for clarifying!

I'll look into this option locally then. It would definitely be good to as (at least) a supplement to the main wood supply.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just a cautionary note for any Aussies are using Mallee Roots (mentioned in my earlier post) in a WFO. I added 2 pieces of it to my oven this afternoon at about 5 pm and the fire got ridiculously hot and I struggled to get the temp down from over 500 C (932 F). The underside of the pizzas were actually burning within 15 seconds of being added to the oven! I even tried a damp mop to try and get the heat down but to no avail. I would suggest sticking to White Gum (Wandoo) as a safer option, with Mallee added in small quantities for a hotter, longer burning fire.