Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Firing Your Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/)
-   -   charcoal curing (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/charcoal-curing-6783.html)

Virgil 05-13-2009 04:44 AM

charcoal curing

On a competitor's website they recommend using regular old charcoal bricketts to cure their ovens.
This seems fairly easy to do and makes some sense at least for the initial lower temp. fires. Yet FB says dont use charcoal. What would be the harm in using it? Has anyone tried to cure using charcoal? :confused:

acbova 05-14-2009 08:39 AM

Re: charcoal curing

I was curious about this as well.....

Johnny the oven man 05-14-2009 05:15 PM

In Oz, we use Heat Beads, another form of charcoal. It can be spread evenly over the floor for dryout,

ThisOldGarageNJ 05-21-2009 02:56 AM

the only thing i wouldnt like, is if they are match light they would have some sort of accelerant chemicals built in, I wouldnt want the taste or smell soaked into my bricks.. If you bought real wood charcoal, and used a small torch and newspaper to light it I think you would be fine...

Any one else ???

Johnny the oven man 05-21-2009 03:55 PM

Aussies use them in Webber Kettle BBQ's

bimbo 06-23-2009 03:31 AM

Yeah I have seen 2 types of heatbeads or charcoal bricketts. One type are self lighting so must have some type of volatile in them to light instantly. These ones seem to lose this self light feature after the bag has been open for a little while.
The other ones I have seen need some help to get started like a firelighter.

I plan on using some of these one I get finished for the first few curing fires as once they are lit they provide a constant heat for a good few hours.

ThisOldGarageNJ 06-23-2009 05:27 AM

for a constant heat, some of the forum members have used a propane heater or burner like the kind used on a turkey fryer, gives great control. I dont think you have to worry as long as you keep your fires small and under control..

Mark

WaWaZat 08-24-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virgil (Post 55502)
On a competitor's website they recommend using regular old charcoal bricketts to cure their ovens.
This seems fairly easy to do and makes some sense at least for the initial lower temp. fires. Yet FB says dont use charcoal. What would be the harm in using it? Has anyone tried to cure using charcoal? :confused:

I've come here with the very same questions. I too read about charcoal curing and also read somewhere around here to NOT cure using charcoal. Why would charcoal curing be bad?

Is there a certain type of charcoal that's best?

Wasn't there someone that posted a very detailed thread here on how to charcoal cure? I can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone have the link or know who might have posted this?

dmun 08-25-2009 04:33 AM

As long as there is no accellerant in them, like the "match light" kind, there shouldn't be a problem. Heat is heat. Charcoal is generally much more expensive per calorie than wood, but getting an even heat would be an advantage worth paying for. You might need to burn them on a grill, or in a hibachi or some other method of getting air into the pile of charcoal, a pile on the brick floor might not keep burning, and over a long burn you are going to need to get the ash out.

A lot of the charcoals we get in the US are full of "mineral carbon" aka coal. Why not just buy a hundred pound bag of anthracite for about a tenth the cost of charcoal?

As far as "heat beads" I have no idea. A web search turned up nothing useful. There's not even a wikipedia stub.

WaWaZat 08-25-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 62569)
A lot of the charcoals we get in the US are full of "mineral carbon" aka coal. Why not just buy a hundred pound bag of anthracite for about a tenth the cost of charcoal?

Where does one find bags of anthracite??