Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Box elder safe to use?

Box elder is a member of the maple family and in fact can be tapped for maple syrup. The smoke odor is more unpleasant than a lot of other woods espescially compared with fruit woods. Thats why its not the best choice for startup or live fire cooking. Relatively like weight when dry so therefore low BTU per cubic foot. Also great for wood turning when you find it with red streaks which are not UV light stable.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In my mind, there is the period of firing that is to heat the oven (when any untreated wood would do for me -BTW, I have used box elder) and the cooking phase (where I use wood with bark on it and try to use a heavy wood from my back yard. Heat with anything and cook with a known hard wood. I don't know which wood from my yard smells like a cigar, but I'll heat with it anyway. HTH

P.S. It is unwise/unsafe to burn oriented strand board and pressure treated woods.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Master Builder

[QUOTE=Faith In Virginia;149937]Crossing that line Laurentius. Toxic railroad ties? Really?

Not in my oven. I burn lots of pine for heating the oven for bread but would not use it for open flame cooking.[/QUOTE

Hi Faith,

I know, but sometime when I get it pass 900degrees I use it as a furnace, at those temperature even the harmful stuff burns, I would never cook with bad stuff.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Peasant

Thanks a bunch everybody.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Master Builder

Laurentius- did not know that you were into burning nasty wood.. if you really need a nice smoky fire with lots of pollution, try burning dirty oil filters, or soak rolls of toilet paper in your used engine oil- burns great! That is if you really want to make friends in the neighborhood! Old tires and styrofoam also burn good!

hehehehehe
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Laurentius- did not know that you were into burning nasty wood.. if you really need a nice smoky fire with lots of pollution, try burning dirty oil filters, or soak rolls of toilet paper in your used engine oil- burns great! That is if you really want to make friends in the neighborhood! Old tires and styrofoam also burn good!

hehehehehe
"Damn Trouble Maker", are you sure that you're not Related, to Al (Brickie of Oz)?? If not, stop reading his posts! And you didn't think he liked you? Now look at you, you've become what you feared, a Bully of the innocent, such am I. Hehehhhehehhehehehheh.
Have you put your puppy outside, yet?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 AM
Master Builder

I really don't know what you are talking about!

Burning ties! I know that USA ones were oak, but just cutting them has to be a real pain. Sometimes, I have to use them for landscaping that requires a cut...a sure way of ruining a good chain or even burning out a chainsaw.

Creasote, and stones, and other junk imbedded---yuck.

Maybe you need to get a trailer and drive up here...there are many places to pick up free hinoke stumps, sugi and sawara wood-- first cut offs and tops. Plenty of wood for your use!

I was just searching out some wood tonight. I was promised a big tree about 3 years ago, when it was cut down. The log sections are better than 2' thru- Japan Oak. The owner of the land said a friend was going to take the wood--but it has sat there for 3 years and no one seems to care about it. Had to talk to the owner again tonite--they still don't know---but they said that they always have trimmings from "ume" trees. Japan plum.

What are your thoughts on plum wood for burning? I guess anything burns, but would it have a good fragrance??? for smoking etc? Right now, they chip the branches to prevent insect infestations. I would have a steady source of "plum wood" if it worked good for burning in an oven.

No, I am not related to "Brickie" but if he told you not to burn ties, he is a pretty wise fellow!

Oven is still sitting in the garage, work that creates an income is a priority right now... oven has to wait!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Master Builder

Hi Mikku,

Osashiburo dese nee! Glad to know you are alive and kicking and back on line, starting trouble.Heheheh, let sleeping dogs, lay. Plum(ume) wood is good, as a matter of fact all fruit trees make great fire and are great for smoking and flavoring. Send photos once you get your oven outside and remember to place it not to far from the house. I'm going to have my friend build me a wood curing stand like your. Hang in there and try no to fall off a roof.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Abouna,

I've burned pine, cedar, broken furniture and even toxic railroad ties.
Planning for an early funeral?
Burning creosote soaked railway ties, any wood with a finish (paint, varnish, oils, etc. is not only a personal health hazard but also an environmental hazard.
While some species of wood will produce more creosote than others, a cooler fire will also increase the amount of creosote that builds up in your oven...
But the creosote used for treating wood is actually produced from coal tar, not wood products, is far more toxic, and the treatment uses heat and pressure to get it to impregnate the wood making it more concentrated. Creosote derived from coal tar is carcinogenic.
There are some species of wood (ie black walnut) which have some higher toxins in them, elder is not one of them. Dry and cure your wood really, really well and it will reduce the amount of smoke that you have when burning.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Laborer

If you're burning a lot of junk wood, keep an eye on your spark arrestor (if you have one). They can get clogged with soot -- then *all* the smoke comes out the front . No more nighttime yard clean-up for me...