Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Firing Your Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/)
-   -   The best wood to burn... (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/best-wood-burn-4845.html)

Breven 08-20-2008 11:08 AM

The best wood to burn...

After my 5th curing fire, I decided it was time to buy some firewood and see how that burns (the first 5 fires were all scrap 2x4's from the build). I understand that a hardwood is the longest burning wood and perhaps burns hotter? I live in a desert. As you can imagine, not a whole lot of firewood for sale around here. I did find a couple of places that sell firewood- both recomended Almond (which was the most expensive) as the best wood to burn in a brick pizza oven. I was told to stay away from cheap softer wood like Pine, Avacado and oily wood like Eucalyptus. I bouhgt a few logs to test out before buying a cord, and burned a few of the Almond logs last night. Got a roaring fire going for my 6th cure. I estimated I was around 600 degrees. It seemed to burn real well- but what do I know. I was curous if anyone had any insight as to what kind of wood burns best and if everyoen agrees which kind of wood to stay away from?

Breven 08-20-2008 11:13 AM

Re: The best wood to burn...

I've read some of the older threads on wood selection...think I have the info i need...but feel free to comment anyway if you like.

I'm goign to stick with the Almond. It's $340 a cord including delivery. I think thats pretty decent. By the way, I found some Oak at a firewood place in the local mountains, they want $520 a cord. He also said he can get mesquite..which is $500 for a 1/4 cord.

toddj 08-20-2008 11:21 AM

is it ok to burn pinion wood - bet that would smell great!

Ken524 08-20-2008 11:27 AM

I believe pinon trees are members of the pine family. If they are soft like pine, then burning them in your oven would be a no-no. Stick with hard wood.

asudavew 08-20-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breven (Post 39501)
I've read some of the older threads on wood selection...think I have the info i need...but feel free to comment anyway if you like.

I'm goign to stick with the Almond. It's $340 a cord including delivery. I think thats pretty decent. By the way, I found some Oak at a firewood place in the local mountains, they want $520 a cord. He also said he can get mesquite..which is $500 for a 1/4 cord.

I can get mesquite for 150 a cord... and I thought that was expensive.

Maybe we need to team up. I'll find it .. you can sell it.

It grows everywhere here.

rlf5 08-20-2008 11:42 AM

Wow! 150 for a cord...that only gets me 1/2 a cord here.

asudavew 08-20-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlf5 (Post 39509)
Wow! 150 for a cord...that only gets me 1/2 a cord here.

Humid in Houston. Hot and dry in ole West Texas. It's the desert!

And the mesquite tree is like a big weed. It takes over prairies, pastures, and even parks.

The other day someone was advertising it for free, but you had cut it yourself.
And I still haven't invested in a chainsaw yet.....
That probably was the right time.. :rolleyes:
Oh well .. next time maybe

dave

mfiore 08-20-2008 11:49 AM

OK, I'm feeling a little guilty. I live in Michigan. Trees everywhere. My father lives on 40 acres of apple trees. I have access to trailer loads of applewood from fallen limbs every year. :D

(hey, some of you guys don't have to pay to ship heavy Forno Bravo supplies clear accross the country)

toddj 08-20-2008 11:55 AM

What about Pecan wood? I have huge Pecan trees. I had a 8" diameter limb fall last night that stylized my fence for me.

asudavew 08-20-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfiore (Post 39513)
OK, I'm feeling a little guilty. I live in Michigan. Trees everywhere. My father lives on 40 acres of apple trees. I have access to trailer loads of applewood from fallen limbs every year. :D

Sweet!

Amazing how wood becomes a part of your day-to-day life when you have a WFO..... :D