Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Amount of wood to fire a 51 inch (130 cm) oven to pizza temps?

Update on the wet wood issue: As for the wood being wet, my last light up from cold I used some very dry eucaliptus, which burned quite nice but smoked a lot (much more than my mesquite), so at the point of big scary fire licking out the door, I had some smoke evading the flue and coming out the front in puffs.

I also used my oven dried mesquite... I was really mixing the two, with more eucalyptus than mesq. Neither of them unfortunately BURST into flames when thrown in at full raging fire, but caught on fire within 30-60 secs. Not really a burst if you know what I mean.

It's definitely a timing issue as well, as I start out with a pretty small fire (newspaper start) and have to really feed it the first hour, growing in piece size.

I have identified the wood supplier of another pizzeria close-by, who uses mostly eucalyptus, but with a much larger, taller, beehive style oven at much lower temps than I shoot for (also a completely different dough, rolled-out with a rolling-pin – I never de-gas my dough that way).

Anyway, I feel I'm getting better with the fire starting deal, but I definitely use more wood than I thought I would. But looking at other oven pics, I guess I need quite a lot to really stuff my oven and have the big fire. I have to negotiate my buying prices (figuring maybe 800kg+/month)