Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Amount of wood to fire a 51 inch (130 cm) oven to pizza temps?

Good debate going....

Tomorrow I'm going nuclear again for some cooking tests, so after I'm done I'll stuff it with wood to dry it out (when it gets below 500F, point taken).

So next time I'll know what dry wood works like. However, I consider the as a factor in this equation the super high humidity levels we have here in Lima. We're at 70% RH in summer, and get 6 months of around 100% humidity during winter/fall. But no rain.... It's weird. I hate it, having lived abroad many many years, but what can I do.

Im going make a door for the wood storage underneath my oven, which gets warm after cooking. That should help in starting the dry out process before I "kiln" it
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Don't get me wrong Lee, I appreciate your input and it backs-up what I am saying. But the wood will auto-ignite given the right conditions. I think the additional mass and all the other inaccuracies can explain any differences in the numbers. I admire your enthusiasm.
lwood and Tscarborough, no offense taken or intended here. I have a fire cheif acquaintance, I'll ask him about a flash over temp for wood in a confined space -if I can remember to ask him- It was watching one of his training films that I learned abut flash over.

Terorino, you give me the impression that you are going to work out solutions to problems you encounter and come out on top, keep at it.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Terorino, you give me the impression that you are going to work out solutions to problems you encounter and come out on top, keep at it.
Thanks Lee, my girlfriend always laughs at my improvised solutions to everyday problems... And I don't have any other choices now, with all my money in here and rent coming up... All my chips are in!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"We're at 70% RH in summer, and get 6 months of around 100% humidity"

Getting wood seasoned and dry must be a problem. Is there a local source of coal ?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

"We're at 70% RH in summer, and get 6 months of around 100% humidity during winter/fall." Here in the Philippines, we are at 70% humidity year round, when it's not raining. It's a problem, especially when you live in the rain forest. We get 36 ft of rain/year. That's why I always dry my wood in the oven. Just make it a practice.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Getting wood seasoned and dry must be a problem. Is there a local source of coal ?
The people who sell wood, sell coal. There's lots. I find, at least from my bbq experience (or lack thereof) lighting coal harder than wood. And no big flames... Though I've had great pizza in NY in coal-fired ovens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Here in the Philippines, we are at 70% humidity year round, when it's not raining. It's a problem, especially when you live in the rain forest. We get 36 ft of rain/year. That's why I always dry my wood in the oven. Just make it a practice.
It sure sounds like it!!I lived in Panama for a couple of years.... lots of rain too! I guess I'll have to make the drying wood thing a habit, if it can fit in the restaurants daily schedule. How long after you rake out your fire does it take your oven to drop to 500F?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Master Builder

after not feeding it anymore, the oven drops below 500F in less than an hour with the door off.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Laborer

Excellent, thanks! I'll let you know how it went
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Master Builder

I have a recent discovery, 500F is too hot to dry wood. I just burnt up a whole oven full of firewood I was drying....hahaha. Lee, you were correct. It's too close to the flash-over temp. I had an oven full of flames and the oven got up to hotter than I had ever seen it before, probably 1,200F. I'm a pyro, so I was amazed at the power of the flames, please don't try this at home. With this experience, I would only put wood in the oven to dry at less than 300F.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Laborer

lwood, thanks for the heads-up!

I haven't had time to light again... but I did buy some very dry eucaliptus wood when I was out of Lima.... Man it's light!! I don't know if super dry mesquite would get that light, because it's a much harder wood... But when I'm able to fire up at least I'll get to try out some dry wood!!

Will let ou guys know... but I have to finish the location!!! I never thought there would be so many millions of details.... but that's another story (or thread or forum)