Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day Neill
Sensibly put .......

Attachment 41508
Try this at your peril

It's an old pic but always makes people smile
Regards dave
Dave, I just showed your pic to the missus, she didn't smile mate, she laughed. A lot.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: air pump

wotavidone

I first started delivering hardwood to the smelters with Rod in the late 60' by the truckload. He had the supply contract for many years and kept it until age and failing health in his late 60's bought it to a stop.
We did this in my holidays and over the christmas breaks in between fruit picking/packing at their large orchard.
It was cut and picked up/loaded by hand then into 4 foot lengths and unloaded by hand. Boy a tipper would have been handy then. The wood was deemed as firewood as all suitable millable timber was first priority and the remainder was sent to Pirie. I got my truck licence then and had it since updating to a HC a few years ago.
He upgraded his equipment with a large tandem drive tipper and articulated loader but remained a sole operator.
Rod has retired now but the Wirrabara mill moved to Jamestown some years ago when in receivership. Barrie and Lance now have their sons run the mill and Paul sold out his share but still maintains all their blades and cutters.
I don't think they cut much hardwood as it is so difficult to get but the will be busy with the burned pine before it deteriorates and is unusable.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: air pump

Yeah they are going to suffer, even if ForestrySA replant it'll take years to grow new trees.
The Bundaleer fire put a dent in things last year, now this disaster.
44 jobs will go if they can't get logs to saw.
That'll be a big dent in the Jamestown economy.

SA is currently facing a collapse - mining exploration and development slow down, big manufacturers closing, nasty natural disasters, you name it, we are on the ropes.

My kids are employed, but they are the lucky ones.
14% unemployment rate for kids 15-24 years of age. It's only one in six or seven I guess, but that is a large undercass of kids who, if they don't get a start while they are young, will be unemployable for life.

The Government is facing a huge pension bill for those people of my generation who want to stop working. The short term solution, unplatable to people like me, but necessary, is to raise the pension age to keep us in the work force unless we are fully self funded.
Of course, if we aren't getting out of the workforce, where is the opportunity for the young people to get in?
I'm sure glad it's not me who has to decide the way forward.