Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wrong dimensions - Help!!

A hole in the top of your oven will just let the heat out, heat like smoke finds the quickest way out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Master Builder

Hi Peter,

I fired(1000 degrees in 90 minutes) my 42' Pompeii up Saturday and cooked pizzas and two loads of bread, Sunday(485 degree when opened) I roasted a chicken, this morning I had to open the door for 40 minute so the temp would drop to 230 to cook pulled pork (8 hr slow cooked) when I finished the temp was still around 200, so I loaded it with wood to dry.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 AM

The south american "horno" with the vent in the dome is notable mostly for it's inefficiency. I don't know how cutting a hole to let heat out is going to solve your efficiency problems.

If you want to bust a hole in something, break out the side of the enclosure and see if, as i suspect, the vermiculite concrete is sopping wet.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Master Builder

Peter,
You have some basic design problems and I think you should consider rebuilding with a untainted mason. With the hearth sitting on the ground and water gushing out of the hillside, I think you should consider it before you burn down any more forests. The oven is absorbing moisture from the ground and as soon as you drive the water out with firing all the energy is going into driving the water out. As soon as you stop firing the water rushes back in. Check the vermiculite, I'll bet dmun is right the vermiculite soaked.

The oven needs to be isolated from it's surroundings and needs to dried out completely in-order to work properly. If you are never getting over 180F you haven't even reached the boiling-point of water. I would recommend that you excavate underneath the hearth and build a free-standing structure to support the hearth slab and then build the oven from there. You need to be sure the water is getting no where near the oven. The French drain can be behind the structure to divert the water but there should be an open cavity underneath the hearth. I'm sure you could do it directly on the ground but it must be well insulated and sealed from moisture. That seems more difficult than building the block structure. Maybe there is a way to do this without a complete tear-down but I sure don't see it.

From your discussion with your mason, it's clear he built something different than you wanted and didn't follow the plans. He built you a horno and he did you a dis-service. He may be a friend, but he knows nothing about building a pizza oven. He has done enough damage so far. I wouldn't let him touch it again. You may be able to save the fire brick in the tear down and the blanket but not much else. Sorry to be the one tell you this.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"If this will actually cure the problem, I'd let him drill that hole and try it. "

Put the top of the hole at the 63% height.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Journeyman

Yikes. I've been following your thread since the beginning. The only thing that isn't a huge bummer about this is the exterior stone work. Gorgeous. The rest just makes me sad. I'll never understand why people can't be bothered to read the instructions. Even smart people!
I have a rocket scientist (really) friend who's entire career was spent designing equipment to measure the temperature of rocket exhaust. I couldn't convince him for anything that a brick oven and wood fire would reach 1000 degrees. He had any number of reasons why my information had to be incorrect. He thought I was crazy and making stuff up!

For the record, I bet I've barely used half a cord of wood in two full summers of near weekly firings, including what it took to cure/dry my fresh build.
I'm with lwood. Between the water absorption issues and the crazy dimensions and flue thing, I'd start over
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Apprentice

I have also been following this thread, and i have to agree with splatgirl... i did pizza's last nite, and used about a half dozen pieces of cherry, about the size of your forearm.. started with a handful of scrap oak 1x1's that i get from the local molding manufacturer. when i got home from work tonite, the oven was still at 165 degrees and that is without a door (which my welder should have finished very soon)... ambient temps were in the high teens overnight, hit high 20's during the day. you aren't going to be happy with it until its built according to the plans..
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
I have a rocket scientist (really) friend... I couldn't convince him for anything that a brick oven and wood fire would reach 1000 degrees.
He must have forgotten that hi-temp smelting has been going on since 4000BC - no rocket science needed!

Updated!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Journeyman

I made exactly that point. Along with raku pottery.
As I said, sometimes even smart people just don't wanna use their thinker.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Master Builder

Can the rocket scientist read a thermometer? It a well known fact that the temperature of a wood flame is in excess of 1,200F. So what's so hard about that. BTW, we made rocket motor nozzles as early as 1958. In 1983, we were weaving graphite fiber into a 3-d matrix for use in icbm rocket motor throats and nozzles. There is nothing new about that technology now. I did the the final inspection of the first graphite fiber mono-cockpit, for the McLaren Formula 1 racing team that is now used as the standard every racing team on the circuit. Have him tell you something new about composite structures and I'll tell you how we did it in 1985. Yes, even smart people just don't wanna use their thinker. haha