Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wrong dimensions - Help!!

I recommend you post some pictures before you break any bricks or do any modifications....After seeing the pictures, the corporate memory here will be able give you a good idea for your oven tune up

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 02-04-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Peasant

Arghh I'm trying to do photos. I'm not making sense of the directions. Can someone talk me through this? I got as far as "uploading, please wait". Where is this "attachment folder" where they would be for additional steps to get it to arrive in the post?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthewolf View Post
Arghh I'm trying to do photos. I'm not making sense of the directions. Can someone talk me through this? I got as far as "uploading, please wait". Where is this "attachment folder" where they would be for additional steps to get it to arrive in the post?
Sounds like your pics are too big and need reducing in size to upload.

Try this free software PIXresizer - Download
Ideally the pics should be 800 pixels wide for internet viewing.

The pics appear automatically on your post when successfully uploaded.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Uploading tutorial (Uploading photos)

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try the curing process first before you make any changes to the dome inside.

Note that the 63% ratio is important. If the ratio is to low (as in your case) the fire will be "choked". If the ratio is too high, the gas will escape before giving up their heat to the bricks.

Also note that this if for the firing phase only. Once it is up to temperature the ratio is less important. This may sound strange, but one approach/remedy might be a plug-able opening above your entry arch.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Peter!

You made a comment about capping the chimney AND closing the door... The door should be BETWEEN the chimney and the oven...????? I take it yours is NOT?
Jay
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Peasant

Oh, great Yes the door is out front of the chimney, *outside* it. The fix for that...plugged the chimney and let air/exhaust go through only the door into the world. So it's in&out but not up a pipe. Yep, some soot up there outside, but that we don't mind...it's outside...As long as we *can* plug the chimney as if the door was closed.

Understand folks, that I showed the plans to the stonemason, and he assured me that he'd make a "fantastic" oven that would work great. I deferred to his expertise...which it seems applied to some other old world clay deal, but not this kind of oven. Wish he could have communicated that. Man, I showed him the plans 4 times and asked questions, but he was set on that he was good at what he does. He has in fact done so much to make our home beautiful for so many years so we were trusting of this process, whoops. On this job, we may have bumped into pride issues or something.

Regardless, here's day 3 of firings; today's firing has gone all day and will continue overnight then through the weekend. If that doesn't cure it, ? I let go of trying to control temperature yesterday and just decided to keep 3 or 4 pieces of split oak burning all the time in there. The only variation was 250 to 350 on the floor averaged, 450-475 a foot up on the back wall, and about 450-500 near the dome peak. I figure at this point I'll just keep it going and cook it out. Insulation check is good - it's still only slightly warm to the touch on the exterior of the main dome. I'll be through 4/10's of a cord by the time we are done and so far it's not getting much hotter inside.

Got it on door height percentage, looking to make 63% ultimately. Smoke layer over clean air is still 12 to 13 inches above the floor, which is about 5 to 6 inches above the main flames, as the smoke goes up the chimney hole 18 inches tall in the tunnel to the door - and richer but about same if the chimney is plugged and only the door ventilates both directions.

As for photo resizing...I opened pixresizer and got eQ˝7u≠瑈gW#(∆ˇ∑N_≠... etc. Anything better suggested (for a mac)? I've got decent pictures...wish I could show you... Barring that, anyone if you'd like me to just email them to you, send me an email address an I'll do it that way. If you want your address more private, contact me at pwolf1@wolfskills.com. Thanks all!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can send me the pics and Ill resize them for you.

I dont mind my email being public, I get a lot of spam as it is....

Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-05-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: REmoving email address
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Peter's pictures of his oven.

The pictures are tiny, they should have loaded from your end?
Attached Thumbnails
Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05050.jpg   Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05051.jpg   Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05284.jpg  

Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Peter's pictures of his oven.

More..............
Attached Thumbnails
Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05287.jpg   Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05288.jpg   Wrong dimensions - Help!!-dsc05298.jpg