Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: what size chimeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
Reading the forums I see many uses of a double walled chimney system (expensive). If I use a single walled chimney liner, and enclose the pipe in my dome covering "house" isolated from combustables - is there any loss of performance? ie does insulating the chimney pipe make it perform better?

The product I have in mind is at this link 316L Chimney Champion Rigid Chimney Liner Kit - 8" | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Accessories, Chimney Liners, Champion Ridgid 316L Chimney Liner Kits
DVM

Others that have done masonry chimneys and other enclosures this way with great success. You will want to start on an "Anchor Plate" and use a Top Plate and Storm Collar at the top to prevent leakage.

As long as you stay away from combustibles you will be OK.

You may want to check your local fire code also.

Chip
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did not do this on my build, but it was one of my options.
Install a single wall SS flue pipe, buy galvanized pipe from Lowes or HD and fill the space between with V-crete or just vermiculite.

I did not figure the circumfrance of the outer pipe because I chose a different direction. They usually stock 4", 6", and 8" with interlocking seams. I figure that 2 of the sizes could be mulled together to achieve the space needed for insulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Apprentice

An interesting thought. I will "noodle" on the Idea of a DIY double walled chimney. When it comes down to it I may simply spring for the tried and true ss double wall model.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

I also was put off by the cost (and look) of the stainless steel chimney pipe and liked the idea of just stacking 8" flue tiles inside of 12" tiles. Just used some leftover hi-temp mortar to secure each inside tile to the one above it and bought a chimney cap with screen for spark arrest on top. My inside/visible section uses the same double flue tile but with an outside facade of brick to visually tie it to my oven structure.

I put a series of pictures below (before I enclosed the oven) to give you an idea how I built my chimney. The last shot shows you the simple stacking I used when I extended above my roof of the final outside, screened room.
Attached Thumbnails
what size chimeny-p8281351_sm.jpg   what size chimeny-p8301354_sm.jpg   what size chimeny-p9021382_sm.jpg   what size chimeny-p2154344_sm.jpg   what size chimeny-dsc07901_sm.jpg  

)

Photo albums

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Apprentice

That looks like a great solution. Did you leave the space between the flue tiles an air gap - or did you fill with vermeculite etc. I have not found a supplier in So Cal selling clay flue tiles (I have limited my search so far to Google - I have not yet broken down and simply called anyone on the phone).

dvm
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Apprentice

Yes, I left the air space between the flue tiles as insulation. I considered filling the space with some other insulator like perlite or vermiculite, but "air" was cheap (like me) and does just fine for this situation. I also liked the fact that there would be a little circulation/venting of heat.

I got my terra cotta flue tiles through a local cement/masonry business but I've seen salvaged sections at surplus/recycled building supply places. The last extension segments I added a month ago were obviously newly made...so they are out there.

As a side note: I was surprised that the new 12" extension section I added was not exactly the same size and color as the initial batch. You'll want to make sure to select & match any sections that will be visible.
)

Photo albums

Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

dvm,

The last time I talked with these guys they had flue tiles. If they don't have the size you want in stock they will order it for you. The prices were really reasonable.

Larry's Building Materials
1151 Baker Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714 545 0448 (fax 714 545 3617)
larrysmaterials@yahoo.com
Two other yards and fireplace shop.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the resource - I like "really reasonable" prices.