Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Update on forum features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I just wonder Ken, dmun, how many first posts do you have to delete? One or two a week... or a day? or more?
Actually, James didn't set that part up. I think we are enjoying the benefits of the Captcha thingie that's required to sign up now. James, are you screening first posts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM

I haven't been asked to approve anyone: either James is doing it all, or I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Apprentice

Am actually curious about that too Frances Forum seems pretty tight from my perspective, and I thank all of you that are working to keep it that way for that luxury!

Travis
Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I turned on Captcha's, which keeps computers from registering, but a few manual spammers still get through. So I set a rule where the first post everyone makes gets moderated. I'm still catching quite a bit (a few a day), but is so much faster this way, and it's easy to ban the spammer and delete the postings -- so they are really wasting their time. It never hits the forum.

If the volume goes up, or when I am going on vacation, I will be asking for some help with moderation. It's really easy -- postings are postings, and spam is spam.

I feel pretty good about where we are right now. At least until the next big spam events comes along.

Thanks for the offers to help.
James

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I turned on Captcha's, which keeps computers from registering, but a few manual spammers still get through. So I set a rule where the first post everyone makes gets moderated. I'm still catching quite a bit (a few a day), but is so much faster this way, and it's easy to ban the spammer and delete the postings -- so they are really wasting their time. It never hits the forum.

If the volume goes up, or when I am going on vacation, I will be asking for some help with moderation. It's really easy -- postings are postings, and spam is spam.

I feel pretty good about where we are right now. At least until the next big spam events comes along.

Thanks for the offers to help.
James

Old 11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Just yell when you need help.

Updated!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Master Builder

I'd be glad to lend a hand also