Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Forum Guidelines (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   School oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/school-oven-19832.html)

Silvia 08-24-2013 11:32 AM

School oven

Does anyone have experience with having one for a school setting? My son goes to a nature-based school program with an outdoor classroom. If anyone does have any experience, where there special considerations because of any fire codes or safety concerns?

david s 08-30-2013 05:57 PM

Re: School oven

Normal fire code would apply. I work in a school and legally we can't have any ceramic fibre as children are more susceptible. On a practical level they are probably more at risk than adults from emissions from the smoke. Many children are also dangerous risk takers and untrustworthy and those characteristics combined with fire are a potent combination. A cob oven would be fun and educational to build and use.

Silvia 08-31-2013 09:25 AM

Thank you! I will also look into cob ovens...and solar ovens.

michelevit 10-16-2013 04:59 PM

Is the ceramic blanket really a risk? Its not like its exposed to the elements. Its buried under pearlite and stucco.

Maybe mitigate all risk and just show a video of a pizza oven instead. Ha Ha.

david s 10-16-2013 05:31 PM

In schools in our State, exposed ceramic fibre is not allowed because it is considered a potential risk. Trapped between the refractory and the outer shell or enclosure would not be classed as exposed. If children were involved in its application that would be considered exposure.The rules in your area may be different.

michelevit 10-16-2013 08:47 PM

So ceramic blanket OK in a finished oven in a school?

david s 10-16-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 163733)
In schools in our State, exposed ceramic fibre is not allowed because it is considered a potential risk. Trapped between the refractory and the outer shell or enclosure would not be classed as exposed. If children were involved in its application that would be considered exposure.The rules in your area may be different.

Yes, provided none of it is exposed

michelevit 10-17-2013 07:23 AM

Too much risk...
Imagine if some child burns the top of his mouth on molten lava cheese.
The horror!
Also a dome might implode scattering ember shrapnel throughout the yard!

david s 10-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelevit (Post 163757)
Too much risk...
Imagine if some child burns the top of his mouth on molten lava cheese.
The horror!
Also a dome might implode scattering ember shrapnel throughout the yard!

You can be flippant about it, but children who are not supervised adequately love to play with fire. especially in company with others, they love to impress each other. I have images of a child running around the schoolyard with a burning stick.
In our litigious society someone is likely to be held responsible. I would love to build a WFO at our school, but have so far been reluctant because of potential problems.

michelevit 10-17-2013 12:16 PM

I agree. The dangers are not worth risk.
We need to coddle our children and wrap them in pillows and bubble wrap.

A video about pizza ovens is much safer.

I also have images of a child could taunting another child by waving a slice of pizza in front of them.
Feelings can get hurt.
Someone will be liable and it won't be me. Not worth it.