Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: School oven

Ceramic fibre is only "hazardous" once it has been fired and the binders have burnt out, so I really cant see an issue with it. No more dangerous than insulation in the roof of your school, or the carpet in your house.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Ceramic fibre is only "hazardous" once it has been fired and the binders have burnt out, so I really cant see an issue with it. No more dangerous than insulation in the roof of your school, or the carpet in your house.
Perhaps that is true, but we are not allowed to have exposed CF in schools in our state because the authorities have deemed it unsafe. Loose fibres certainly do become airborne when cutting and handling the stuff and the manufacturers recommend respirators, so I don't think a court would agree with you.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Master Builder

I took some note when I fitted the CF blanket and it was done out in the sunshine. I was pleased to have the full PPE and I am sure that I would not want what I saw in the air to be in my lungs.

I worked in some industrial situations where little heed was paid to exposure to hazards such as this. This is a known hazard and it is folly to mess with things that we know to be a hazard. Ask anyone who has watched the demise of someone with mesothelioma or a similar fibre induced disease.

Regardless of the law. Who would want to expose our young people if we even think it is potentially harmful.

Just my opinion.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics

Tags
classroom, marshmallow, paranoia, safety, school