Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Serf

Default Re: The right mortar for the job?

Very nice indeed. And you are right, as long as it preforms the way you want it to, then that's all that maters.

Ciao for now.

Tom
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
I bought 4 bags (100 lbs) of the FireRock mortar at Glen-Gery Brick in Des Moines. I already had a 75 pound bag of refractory cement. I ended up using the FireRock for the dome construction and using the refractory cememt as a skim coat over the completed dome. Just by looking at the two products, the refractory cememt looked like it contained more silica.

I completed the project in mid May, and have used it almost every weekend (sometimes Saturday and Sunday) and a few weekdays. I am very happy with the results. The oven takes about 3 hours to bring to cooking temp and I can 7 or 8 pizzas (one at a time since it's a relatively small oven - 27 inch inside diameter) before I see a noticable cooling of the oven. This means that it takes a couple minutes more to cook the 8th through 12th pizzas.

Visual inspection of the inside of the dome shows no slumping or cracking of the mortar. BUT, ask again in 2 years and we'll see how it lasts! So far I am happy with the product, and the price was very reasonable.

One unrelated suggestion would be to buy a tile saw and a cheap grinder with a masonry blade. I didn't have the grinder until the dome was completed, and I realized (too late) that I could have easily beveled the bricks to fit together better, using less mortar.

I hope this helps!

Anthony
Hey Anthony, how's that oven holding up? I am getting ready to cast my oven with FireRock and wanted to see if you had any issues with it. ANy suggestions, tips for FireRock would be more then welcome.

thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Serf

Anthony (or anyone out there who has tried Firerock Mortar), can you tell me how your project has gone (and is holding up)? I'm about to embark a new pizza oven project and this seems to me to be one of the only local options for high temperature mortar.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Serf

paynerob,

I've been using my oven for over a year now and it's working great. Firerock was easy to use and holds the heat great. My walls are 2.5 inches thick and i do not have any cracks at all. Let me know if you need more details on it.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Serf

Tiggi, thanks so much for the response. I was optimistic about the product and now feel confident to proceed. My pad was laid last weekend, cinder blocks next. I can't wait to get into the dome!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Serf

I am planning on mixing my own mortar with Portland cement,sand, fire clay and lime. my question is what kind of lime and where to get it? Home depot?

Tags
mortar, newbie