Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevalo53anos View Post
Fdn1:

Just to try answering your original question, I did a “Google” search by “remote thermometers”
There are a lot of these, including an inexpensive ($50) two channel BBQ one, that shows the temperature indication in a 100 ft remote unit.
In our work we use professional equipment with high sample rate and telemetry signal transmitters. However I am supposing that the above one is the best practical solution.
By the other way, if you have an installed thermocouple in your oven with a local indicator (many of us do), a different solution could be to use an IP camera, sending this signal from the router to your computer.
Long distance from technical solution, could be a binocular the cheapest solution?
Just thinking around…

Luis
Luis
Thank you for your effort. I probably was not clear enough in my original request for information. I had conducted a successful search for remote thermometers to check the internal temperature of meat while it is cooking in the oven prior to posting. (I do not think thermocouples embedded in the masonary would provide an accurate indication of the internal temperature of meat while it is coking in the oven.) I was soliciting input from forum members on their experience in using them in terms of their accuracy, durability, etc.. I assume from the responses that not many members have used remote thermometers for cooking purposes.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Master Builder

Default remote thermometer

Hi Fred!

I love my remote oven/BBQ thermometer.

It has a readout box with stainless steel braided wire leading to a probe. Lenght of cable is about 3 feet.

The remote box reads the temp about 50 feet away. Never tried it further.

Nice thing about mine, is that you can set the temperature and it will alarm.

I cooked my turkey late this year and put the remote on the bedstand and it woke me up when the turkey hit the temp I desired!!!

I used it later on the wet bread to get internal temp as Jim suggested. The alarm makes it nice to do other things while cooking.

Linens 'n Things - Redi-Check® Roast Alert Electronic Timer/Thermometer

That one is very similar to the one I own.

I've been really happy.

Good luck! Chris!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
Hi Fred!

I love my remote oven/BBQ thermometer.

It has a readout box with stainless steel braided wire leading to a probe. Lenght of cable is about 3 feet.

The remote box reads the temp about 50 feet away. Never tried it further.

Nice thing about mine, is that you can set the temperature and it will alarm.

I cooked my turkey late this year and put the remote on the bedstand and it woke me up when the turkey hit the temp I desired!!!

I used it later on the wet bread to get internal temp as Jim suggested. The alarm makes it nice to do other things while cooking.

Linens 'n Things - Redi-Check® Roast Alert Electronic Timer/Thermometer

That one is very similar to the one I own.

I've been really happy.

Good luck! Chris!
Chris
Thanks for the information. Did you do anything special inorder to pass the wire connecting the temperature probe and the transmitter through your oven door?

I have been examing one sold for $50 by Williams Sonoma that has a steel braided wire (42 inches long) connecting the probe and transmitter that is heat tolerant to about 570 degrees F.
Fred
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Master Builder

Sounds much like mine - I measured today - 42 inches and rated to 550 degrees - not enuf for Pizza but fine for roasting and baking.

My pizza oven is hardly started, but in my normal oven I just close the wire in the door. The gasket seems to form around it enough to make a decent seal.

I have been cutting bricks today!!!!