Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pizza Oven Price

Mine is barrel vault style but the lessons carry over.

My cost all in was about $1,800. Bought everything except for the pavers which are still serving as my temporary counter-top. (haven't decided what to do there.) Zero masonry experience before starting beyond setting a post in the ground with Quick-crete. Made a bunch of mistakes...most now hidden beneath outer layers.

Worked on it sporadically. Lot's of Saturdays. Frequently for an hour or two after work. Started December 28 2011. First fire was May 2012, and I started cooking like crazy with it from that point on. (Oven exterior was not done by any means but the insulation was in place.) Got the oven generally finished by mid-August. (As noted above...still have not gotten around to doing a permanent counter top. It still looks as it did in the pic below.)

The oven works fantastically well IMO. We entertain a lot, throw some pretty good size parties on occasion, and I've baked a lot of bread with it. In the past eight months I've cooked at least two hundred pizzas, a couple hundred loaves of sour dough bread, pots of braised short ribs, legs of lamb, a turkey, several chickens, calzones, roasted veggies, pies, and a bunch of other stuff at all of the various temps one finds in these ovens.

Jump in. I found the process very interesting. Read this site. Get the FB plans. Read the threads from guys/gals who have already done this stuff. There is a vast amount of expertise on this site and most are willing to share.

Bill