Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Forum Guidelines (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   multiple pizza bases (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/multiple-pizza-bases-16298.html)

John Banks 07-06-2011 04:01 PM

multiple pizza bases

I'm just wondering if someone can help me. I'm really happy with the dough I'm using, but if I have to make multiple bases a little bit in advance e.g. when I have friends coming around, I put them on trays and separate them with baking paper. The problem is that even after 5 minutes they stick to the baking paper making it really difficult to get them off and onto the wooden peel when I go to make the pizzas. This is even the case if I lightly dust the paper with flour. Any advice here would be gratefully accepted

John

Tman1 07-06-2011 05:41 PM

Re: multiple pizza bases

I don't know that this is a solvable problem.. at least to stack them. If I think about it, I've only seen ready bases sitting on something like this... never actually stacked on one another.

John Banks 07-06-2011 07:36 PM

thanks for that Tman. I was afraid that might be the solution. i was hoping to avoid filling up a cupboard with a dozen Pizza trays, but if that's what it takes, then that's what I'll have to do.

just looked at your pics. great pizza oven. i could have saved a fortune on cement and insulation if i had your plans

regards

John

lwood 07-08-2011 07:00 PM

try cooking them with the parchment paper and taking the paper off halfway through.

texassourdough 07-08-2011 07:23 PM

Be careful. Wet dough can stick to parchment too. My suggestion is to work on your pie forming skills and get up to speed so you can make them on the fly. There is no graceful way to make lots of pies in advance that I have seen, unless you par cook them.

Good luck!
Jay

david s 07-08-2011 08:59 PM

The usual method is to make up dough balls in advance. I use an A4 stationary file with about 4 drawers into which I place about 6 floured dough balls per drawer, which make up 9" bases. It's pretty quick, but as always the prep takes way longer than the cooking of the pizzas. Just catered for a big crowd last night and cooked 40+ 9" pizzas, one at a time, with my little 21" mobile oven. I kept it up to temp. doing 90 sec pizzas for around 3 hours, maintaining an active fire on the side continually. Didn't have to refire it all.

John Banks 07-10-2011 03:20 PM

Great, thanks for that guys. I guess I'll have to work on my pizza tossing skills and in the meantime buy a heap of cheap pizza trays.

david s 07-10-2011 03:30 PM

You can start by cooking them in trays, but moisture gets trapped between the base and the tray resulting in a soggy base. Better to learn to slide them off a wooden peel directly onto the oven floor.

John Banks 07-10-2011 03:34 PM

That's the bit that I've got down pat (took a few goes though).

lwood 07-10-2011 05:20 PM

I always open 5 dough balls just before I intend to start cooking. That gives me a little cushion. Then they can be can be dressed with toppings as I need them. They can sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so before they need to go in the oven. I would suggest you recruit some help, one person to open and dress the pies and one to work the oven.

I tried cooking the pies in a pan at first and it's just not the same. You need to have the dough directly on the firebrick. It was a little scary at first, but you'll get the hang of it.