Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Forum Guidelines (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   help in southern ma. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f14/help-southern-ma-17139.html)

sousar 12-13-2011 06:04 PM

help in southern ma.

I'm about to place the blanket on my stove i have cooked in it twice already and it had 2 small cracks that i took care of .. my question is when i put on the blanket do i just use regular stucco right over the blanket and will this protect it when it snows ? id like to use oven year round...thanx in advance

dmun 12-14-2011 12:46 PM

Re: help in southern ma.

Many people have had success with stucco coverings: I remain sceptical. Look around your neighborhood. Do buildings that need to stay dry have stucco roofs?

If you go the exposed dome route, think carefully about the various ways the water can get in. This includes the flue area, the opening around the door, the joint between the base and the dome.

Remember: wet insulation is pretty much no insulation.

Lousdepot 12-14-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sousar (Post 124689)
I'm about to place the blanket on my stove i have cooked in it twice already and it had 2 small cracks that i took care of .. my question is when i put on the blanket do i just use regular stucco right over the blanket and will this protect it when it snows ? id like to use oven year round...thanx in advance

You would need to cover blanket with something first! i used vermicrete. about 3 inches. then i tried stucco and it didn't hold up. i am in southern MA also. I think if you were real experienced with stucco you could make it work. I was not and it didn't. Here is a picture of mine

sousar 12-15-2011 07:06 PM

so dmun what do you recommend i put on over the blanket ?

brickie in oz 12-15-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousdepot (Post 124762)
. Here is a picture of mine

The render is way too thin, thats why it didnt work on top of the crumbly vermicrete. :(

You would need about 25mm at least I would have thought.

david s 12-15-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 124735)
Many people have had success with stucco coverings: I remain sceptical. Look around your neighborhood. Do buildings that need to stay dry have stucco roofs?

If you go the exposed dome route, think carefully about the various ways the water can get in. This includes the flue area, the opening around the door, the joint between the base and the dome.

Remember: wet insulation is pretty much no insulation.

Nearly all the house on Santorini have concrete domed roofs.