Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Peasant

Default Re: building home made firedome for trailer oven

thanks...
better order the needles then, i was wondering for the base,could I put the middle perlite insulation layer on top of a 3 inch slab of hard wood or does that first bottom layer have to be concrete,it will be attached to a steel frame.
and any ideas on how to attach the frame to the trailer,I have a few ideas but wouldnt mind some feedback on suspension
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Peasant

I cast mine in 4 pieces with Z shape construction joints at each seam.
I feel this will help control the cracking by allowing some movement, stress relief.
I worked with a refractory manufacturers, engineer to come to this.
Mine is very similiar to Fornos design, there is a thread on here with some pics.
also used a lightweight castable refractory for the insulation layer in the same way, over the dome and under the cast base. mine is 2.5 inch thick dome and 3inch thick base.
I was a model maker at an aircraft manufacturer and also made my own mold. good luck with everything and post some pics of your mold. as far as trailer mounting have some ideas but the most important would be rigidity which I would avoid wood. steel frame with steel plate on top. or reinforced concrete which will get heavy.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Peasant

thanks ironpony,
i feel pretty confident now,hopefully one last question,whats a good mortar mix for between construction joints especially for joining dome to base
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Peasant

from what I have learned, no mortar on joints, so everything can expand / contract some
especially dome to base
if you mortar them they will crack there anyway-weakest spot
not sure what will happen on a trailer driving around
my insulating dome is one piece castable refractory which holds everything together
look on here at thier dome directions/specs
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Peasant

ok,
could i make mix insulating dome 1 to 5 of cement to perlite then another final stronger mix on top of that to finish it of,hold it down? leaving out the insulation blanket.
or what is your insulating dome mix recipe...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirshner View Post
ok,
could i make mix insulating dome 1 to 5 of cement to perlite then another final stronger mix on top of that to finish it of,hold it down? leaving out the insulation blanket.
or what is your insulating dome mix recipe...
Joining the dome to the floor is not a good idea for a stationary oven as the dome and the floor expand and contract at different rates and joining the two will lead to major dome cracks. It is highly recommended to let the dome float on the floor or around the floor for those who have built the floor inside the dome.

I used 11/1 perlite cement mix as a buttress to my flue arch; nice and solid and I have kept a piece as an example for people who what to see what the oven is made out of and it has held up well despite being dropped and rained on a few times.

I held it on to the dome with corregated cardboard that was supported from the outside with stacked up concrete blocks at the thickness I wanted it; in my case the cardboard was 5 inches from the oven for a 5 inch insulation layer; worked out fine

5/1 is less insinuative than I think you want it for over the dome.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 10-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Master Builder

Hi Ironpony,

I'm glad that you changed your mind and came back. Some of the people here, really knows what they are talking about.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Peasant

sounds good mr chips
you mentioned something about some floors being built inside the dome,does this mean you could place the dome onto the perlite cement insulation base then put the floor into the dome so that floor material rests up along the inner sides of the dome, you could then go over the outside of dome with final mixes down the sides and onto perlite base.
but i suppose this could restrict domes natural heat movement.
i,m just thinking that it still needs to be attached somehow because of trailer movement
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirshner View Post
sounds good mr chips
you mentioned something about some floors being built inside the dome,does this mean you could place the dome onto the perlite cement insulation base then put the floor into the dome so that floor material rests up along the inner sides of the dome, you could then go over the outside of dome with final mixes down the sides and onto perlite base.
but i suppose this could restrict domes natural heat movement.
i,m just thinking that it still needs to be attached somehow because of trailer movement
When building the floor inside the dome and the dome resting directly on the insulation layer the bricks are cut about 3/8 of and inch smaller than the diameter of the dome the gap is filled with corrugated cardboard that will burn out and the gap will fill with ash from future fires.

I have seen trailer ovens with Metal straps that go over the top but I am not sure how they work.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
building home made firedome for trailer oven-dscn2723.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 10-20-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Peasant

awesome!
I'll do that thanks chip,and for the picture as well I;ll be starting oven again next week when the materials show up from out of town,then will post,I,m a sculptor so will form a dragon on top,which will be fun and might attract people,
you could even though securing straps over at the end of day and secure before removal.
cheers!