Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Macaroons in the WFO

Christmas tree... pyramid... its nearly the same, right?

Right, so what you're saying is that lemon juice works better than salt to keep the beaten eggwhites firm?

You did all this research yourself? Very impressive!

Um, if you could just translate this bit for me, I can't quite get a handle of what you were measuring.

Additifs
Monté au fouet à main
Remonté au batteur électrique
Repos 1 h
Fragilité
Relâche
En poids
Repos 5h Relâche
En poids

Actually Luis, please DO post a translation. I'm sure anyone interested will be thankfull for it, if not right now, then maybe at a later date
Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 AM

We all know that google translations are, how does one say, not conducive to understanding at depth, but here goes:

As a result of these observations, I am tempted to say that the sayings related to the rise of white depending on the nature of receptacles would seem to me not audited.
On additives, I am tempted to say that lemon juice provides a single result exceeding all others.
However salt seems accelerate trickle of whites.
The baking soda (surprise element) is a rapid rise but develops a surprising graining.
The salt in a relative measure also provides graining.

As you have seen in the summary there are 3 kinds of meringue:

The French meringue: egg whites beaten in the snow with sugar. It is used for eggs in the snow, the Norwegian omelette, meringuer pies and baked meringues. This is the easiest to achieve.

The Italian meringue: egg whites beaten with sugar snow cooked. The Italian meringue supports the fire. We can afford to give a colour to the direct flame or grill of the salamander or four or even to the torch. It is used to mask the omelet dessert as Norwegian or lemon tart, but also in carrying out certain creams such as butter and cream in mosses and soufflés. This is the most difficult to achieve because of cooked sugar.

The Swiss meringue: egg whites beaten with sugar on snow bain marie lukewarm. It is slightly less than the French meringue but less brittle. It is primarily used to make decorations for cakes and dessert.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

BUUAAHHAAAAHAAA!!
So, the nature of the receptacles is not audited, is it? I love it! Thanks Dmun, I haven't laughed like that for a long time!

Actually some of this is about what I understood, but assumed must be wrong in context. What on earth is graining of beaten eggwhites?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Journeyman

That is fun!
Here it goes (shorted)

The result obtained from whipping egg whites (wew) is white and stiffed foam.
This white foam seems like snow (lets your mind go there –g-). From that, ‘claras batidas a nieve’ in Spanish or ‘blancs d´oeufs battus en neige’ in French language.

Based on the Chefsimon.com - Recettes en photos, cours de cuisine en ligne, gastronomie. tests, the container type did not show differences, despite the urban legend that affirm that cooper is so far better.
The juice of lemon is the one that gives the best results when added to whipping egg whites.
The salt is good, whit good development, but lets the wew fall again quickly.
The baking soda is as fast to ride as to fall.
There is three meringue types: the French one, with whipped egg whites (wew) and coarse sugar; the Italian one with wew and sugar diluted in hot water (caramelized) that are resistant to fire (or oven) and the Suisse meringues with wew and sugar in a bols that is inner another bols with lukewarm water (bain marie tiède or baño maria tibio).
There is a table that was unformatted in the last mail. You could see it in http://www.chefsimon.com/gmblanc.htm
More, great and English wrote information in
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/perfectmeringue.htm

Bye. Au revoir. Arrivederci. Hasta luego. Até

Luis
Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post

<SNIP>

Um, if you could just translate this bit for me, I can't quite get a handle of what you were measuring.

Additifs
Monté au fouet à main
Remonté au batteur électrique
Repos 1 h
Fragilité
Relâche
En poids
Repos 5h Relâche
En poids

<SNIP
Hi Frances,

I thought you were addressing me (Luis/Luiz) with your request, so just in case you haven't got the xlate yet, here goes:

Additives
Beaten (i.e.) made to rise with hand whisk
Whipped up again with an electric whisk
Rest for 1 hour
Fragility (?: perhaps test if it stays up...)
[let it] Relax (my wife thinks it means let it go soft a little)
By weight
Let rest for 5 hours, Relax
By weight

Cheers,

LMH
Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

Frances:

If you do not like the Italian and French sites, take a look to this one
eG Forums -> DEMO: Macarons

No more doubts abour macaroon anymore <g>

Luis
Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, those last ones look good. Fiddly, but good. Have you ever made them like that? (And if so, have you got any pictures?) Another question, where the heck do I find almond flour around here?!

The last lot of macaroons I added a little bit of lemon juice to the eggwhites, as suggested, and I have to say it, they were the best yet