Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Limoncello

We make limoncello and orangecello...but just beacuse we waste NOTHING in this house I take make a simple syrup 50/50 water sugar, bring it to a boil and throw the lemon OR orange peels (DO NOT MIX)that had been soaking in the everclear into the boiling syrup mix. Lower the heat to simmer and keep stiring until the syrup becomes thick about 45 mins. remove peels and place on a wire rack and sprinkle with more sugar; allow to cool. Serve with your limoncello and ENJOY!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Master Builder

OK, a couple of days ago a friend whose mail we were collecting for her while she and her husband were away paragliding in California returned. As a small gift she brought us a large bucket of Myer lemons and I thought what a great time to try making our own limoncello. So checking this thread and stopping by the State Liquor Store (Yep, "Freedom's just another word for.... having to buy your booze from a State run, price and selection controlled liquor store) to buy some Everclear we started washing and peeling lemons. I was actually surprised the state store had Everclear in stock as their selection is quite limited and varies greatly.

So today is day two and the Everclear has turned a lovely shade of bright lemon yellow but it's a clear yellow. Sort of like the peeled lemon version (right hand jar) in Dino's picture. I looked around at other photos online and all I've found was a cloudy opaque yellow limoncello. At what point does it turn cloudy or have I done something wrong?

Any help or insight appreciated.
Bests,
Wiley
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My limoncello has never been cloudy other than when I take it right out of the freezer. When it was infusing, it was nice and clear, and remained so when I added the simple syrup to it. I wouldn't worry about it, just be sure to leave the peels in long enough to get all the nice oils out. My recipe wanted me to do it for 40 days, I think...

You're lucky you can buy everclear at all. In VA, the state thinks we're too stupid to buy it, so it's only available on post, not the ABC store. I'll have to go to MD to get it. I have been using the 100 proof vodka, but I like what my brother turns out with everclear better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yow, Elizabeth...the Everclear tastes better? Well, ignorance is bliss for me. Maybe on my road trip this summer to Yellowstone, I'll hit a state that sells it to us moonshiners!

Wiley,
My "grated" L-cello is cloudy when shaken, but my "peeled" L-cello isn't. The grated tastes farther along so last week at 30-40 days, we added sugar-water and letting it "marinate" for a week before tasting. The peeled stuff might be ready now too for the sugar. I'll taste it tomorrow and take some pics and post what I think.
Can't wait to hear how yours turns out! Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, the Everclear tastes better than the el cheapo 100 proof vodka, I think. Or it just tastes less, maybe? I dunno, but I'd love to be able to buy it here.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Well, the Everclear tastes better than the el cheapo 100 proof vodka, I think. Or it just tastes less, maybe? I dunno, but I'd love to be able to buy it here.
I think the taste is vastly better using everclear and proofing down with sugar syrup than with vodka. Both spirits should be tasteless, with the only reaction to your tounge being the harshness of the alcohol. I think the higher proof everclear extracts more oils and flavor and accepts the sugar water better than vodka. At least, that's been my exerience.

You're making limoncello...not lemon infused vodka, right?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Journeyman

I'd love to try this with mandarins.
removing the pith maybe a problem though.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Serf

A light touch and a sharp peeler might be all you need.

I've done it with lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines, clemintines and pomegranates. Next on the list is grapefruit.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Laborer

We've found that leaving the bottles in the freezer for about a year seems to mellow the taste out and eliminate any harsh after taste. Therefore we make large batches in advance and store them in the freezer. We have also had better results with Everclear.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Master Builder

Well while the limoncello ages and gets aquainted with the sugar syrup my I have been on the lookout for a set of proper glasses to serve it in. Last evening while searching the shelves of the Goodwill I came across a set I couldn't pass up. A set of ten stemmed shot glasses; they have "Stoli Russian Vodka" etched on their sides but otherwise look like they will do the job admirably. Here's a link to a pair for sale on ebay for a picture of what they look like:
STOLI Russian Vodka SHOT GLASSES - Pair - Collectible - eBay (item 400056186652 end time Apr-11-10 20:10:40 PDT)

Of course at Goodwill one doesn't pay the prices asked on ebay... these were priced at 69 cents each (55 cents with senior discount :^)

I am planning on bottling my limoncello in clear "tenths" wine bottles and hope to find time to print up some labels. What do the rest of you keep your limoncello in? Do you decant from a larger bottle to a smaller one (which goes in the freezer) or do you bottle a batch up all at once?

Bests,
Wiley