Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Dolce and Desserts (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Gugelhopf - Swiss Panetone (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f13/gugelhopf-swiss-panetone-3238.html)

Frances 01-20-2008 08:46 AM

Gugelhopf - Swiss Panetone

3 Attachment(s)
As far as I know this is only made in Switzerland (...nope, I just checked, South Germans also bake it, too), but in any case it tastes a bit like Panetone. Only different.

300 g flour
20 g fresh yeast
5 g salt
100 g melted butter
2.5 dl milk
1 egg
60 g sugar
grated peel of 1 lemon
150 g raisons, sultanas, candied friut OR almonds (or any mixture thereof) -this one has half and half of raisins and almonds.

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts throwing bubbles. Pour it into a 1.5 litre greased baking form (here they have special Gugelhopf tins with a hole in the middle) and let rise til doubled. Then bake at 200-220 C for about 1/2 an hour. Turn it out and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

gjbingham 01-20-2008 07:09 PM

Re: Gugelhopf - Swiss Panetone

Wow, Frances! That's gorgeous. Is it a holiday treat (if memory serves) like panetone or made all year long?

George

Frances 01-21-2008 12:26 AM

Thank you George :)

Gugelhopf is made all the year round, especially for aperos and things like that, probably because its not as sweet as regular cake. There's also a salty version with bacon and walnuts in it, goes down very well with white wine or champagne - I'll post that one when I next make it.

gjbingham 01-21-2008 08:25 AM

Bacon and walnuts? Sounds interesting!

mannextdoor 04-03-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 22745)
As far as I know this is only made in Switzerland (...nope, I just checked, South Germans also bake it, too), but in any case it tastes a bit like Panetone. Only different.

300 g flour
20 g fresh yeast
5 g salt
100 g melted butter
2.5 dl milk
1 egg
60 g sugar
grated peel of 1 lemon
150 g raisons, sultanas, candied friut OR almonds (or any mixture thereof) -this one has half and half of raisins and almonds.

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts throwing bubbles. Pour it into a 1.5 litre greased baking form (here they have special Gugelhopf tins with a hole in the middle) and let rise til doubled. Then bake at 200-220 C for about 1/2 an hour. Turn it out and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Frances
Sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it. (Fyi )We only get the panatone around Christmas here. If you should ever have any left over, or just something a little differant. Use this bread to make a bread pudding. Taste great.

Mannextdoor

Frances 04-03-2008 01:11 PM

Cool! Let me know how it turns out, and what you think of it :)

mannextdoor 04-03-2008 01:19 PM

I am just clearing out a space in our landescape for an outdoor kitchen. Just about done opening up a space. Am going to included a WFO. Can't wait to start building. Been planning this for a couple of years. Hope to be done by this fall. Once I get stated, I'll post some pictures.

Mannextdoor