Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Apple Tart

It turns out that for Thanksgiving, nothing will do but the full bore two-crust apple pie. The problem with this is that there's no way to know the moisture content of the apples, and too often you end up with hot gooey sugared apple juice bursting out of the crust onto the oven floor, filling the house with acrid odor, and gluing the bottom crust to the pie pan.

As as experiment yesterday, after I prepped the apple chunks, i laid them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on warm for a couple of hours to remove some of the moisture. They were slightly tanned, and the surface was dry to the touch. I then made the pie in the conventional manner.

The results were pretty good. There was no runoff, and the apple chunks maintained an apple shape, if they were mushier than I would like them. The flavor was quite intense.
It took longer than usual to brown the pie, and the next time I'll up the temperature considerably, since the apples are not just dehydrated, but partially cooked.

It says something about having a WFO that you can devote two hours in your kitchen oven to apple dehydration on Thanksgiving morning.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Apple Tart

You can also sugar the apples an hour or so ahead. The sugar is hygroscopic and will pull the excess moisture out (Granny knew what she was doing - even if she couldn't pronounce 'hygroscopic')*.

*With apologies to Alton Brown - who said TV wasn't educational?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]