Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Roasting and Grilling (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Tuscan Grill (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/tuscan-grill-453.html)

PizzaMan 03-14-2006 08:57 AM

Tuscan Grill

James,

What can you tell us about the Tuscan grill to which you referred in another post?

Would you post some pictures and tell us more about using them?

Michael
aka PizzaMan

james 03-14-2006 10:17 AM

Grilling inside a brick oven

1 Attachment(s)
Michael,

Here is a photo of the grill. It's cast iron, 14"x14"x4". Large enough to hold two butterflied chickens, or steaks, chops, salmon filets, etc. I think grilling inside a brick oven is a lot of fun. The cast iron grill gets really hot, so you get good sear marks, and because there is moist heat in the oven above and below the grill, you get a moist and juicy result. For medium heat grilling, you can set the grill on a clear floor, and for higher heat you can pull coals under the grill. Juices hit the cooking floor and vaporize.

I've done marinades and dry rubs. Fish is excellent.

I will take more photos of cooking food and post some recipes. The grill is $40, and it is on the Forno Bravo Store.

http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=250&page=1

jjerrier 03-14-2006 07:09 PM

Tuscan Grill Pics

The Tuscan Grill from the Forno Bravo store is a huge home run. I posted pics of it in action at www.texaspizzaoven.com

Jay

RTflorida 06-27-2007 10:47 PM

Re: Tuscan Grill

Just recieved my Tuscan Grill today. Will be initiating it this weekend. I will post my opinions afterwords. My wife is really getting into wanting to try more things in the oven. Her fear was that it would only be useful for pizza and we would soon tire of it. Since then its been pizza one night then roasting or smoking the next day from the same fire. So far Smoked ribs and corn twice, whole roasted chicked(beer can method), Potatoes and peppers,marinated pork shoulder, more corn. This week will be pizza night, then ribeye steak (on the new grill) and vidalia onions and marinated portobello mushrooms - also on the grill. I may do a Grouper grilling day,maybe on the 4th

Richie 06-28-2007 06:29 PM

James, so if I'm going to grill a couple of big ribeyes I don't need to put a pan underneath to catch all that yummy grease? Just let it steam away? That makes it real easy then, no clean up.

thanks for all your help

james 07-03-2007 02:06 PM

Hey Richie,
Sorry for the slow response. It's pretty cool. The drippings hit the hot floor (or your coals), and are vaporized into a flavorful steam. You don't need any type of pans. The floor of your oven is hot enough to bake away any remaining food -- it's like the self-clean cycle every time you use it.
James

Virgil 01-22-2009 07:37 AM

James -- Do you use this instead of a roasting rack for roast lamb etc? If not what is your roasting rack made of? What metal is likely to stand up best to the heat of a WFO?

james 01-22-2009 08:34 AM

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
James

james 01-22-2009 08:35 AM

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
James

mfiore 01-23-2009 01:46 PM

I just received a Tuscan Grill for Christmas. Waiting for the snow to melt before using. Where do you position it in the oven? Do you put it in before the fire is started?

How about moving things around on it. Is it difficult to reach in and flip a steak for instance? I have long tools to work with pizza, but no long "steak flipper".