Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tuscan Grill

Mike, when I use my Tuscan grill I pull a bed of coals out toward the landing (not past the back edge of the vent) and set the grill on top. I let it heat up for at least 10 minutes before I put the food on. The long handled tools my husband uses on the regular grill work fine with it. I use the tongs to flip the steak. If you poke the coals as they lose their red glow they stay hot quite a while. If you blow on them, though, you get cinders on your food, not good eats.

I really like the grill. It's got good surface area and is manageable to move around. I get great grill marks with it! I'd almost forgotten the taste of wood-grilled food over the gas grill. Best steak ever.

I store my grill inside the gas grill, by the way. Old gassy doesn't get used much anymore....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Elizabeth, you've got me sold on the Tuscan Grill. I'm sure steaks are much better over coals than the gas grill. I don't remember the last time I've cooked on coals. Though I'm obviously not rushing my build, I can't wait to finish and start cooking. I was just looking thru FB's tools sets, saw the grill and searched it to find this thread. Thanks,- Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Laborer

Has anyone used the Tuscan Grill in the smaller Primavera 60, or 70 ovens?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Mike, when I use my Tuscan grill I pull a bed of coals out toward the landing (not past the back edge of the vent) and set the grill on top. I let it heat up for at least 10 minutes before I put the food on. The long handled tools my husband uses on the regular grill work fine with it. I use the tongs to flip the steak. If you poke the coals as they lose their red glow they stay hot quite a while. If you blow on them, though, you get cinders on your food, not good eats.

I really like the grill. It's got good surface area and is manageable to move around. I get great grill marks with it! I'd almost forgotten the taste of wood-grilled food over the gas grill. Best steak ever.

I store my grill inside the gas grill, by the way. Old gassy doesn't get used much anymore....
Elizabeth,

Can you give me some details about your process of getting ready to grill? Particularly how long it takes to be ready to grill some steaks properly.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Master Builder

This is the grill I use. The grill plate is from a gas bbq that expired and I fitted it to a round bar frame. It is 15" x 9" and 7" high. My oven is 36" with a high dome so it fits ok. I see that the FB one is much lower.

It just slips into the oven amongst the coals, I heat if for 5 minutes and it takes 2 minutes each side for a medium/rare T Bone.

As moist and tasty as any steaks I have eaten. Whole pan size fish cook fine this way as well but I usually wrap the fish in foil to retain the juices. It takes a little longer in the foil but worth the doing! I haven't used this to grill chicken yet but I can just see a split marinated chicken turning golden on top of this.

The grill is also useful for grilling capsicum (sweet peppers?) sit them on the grill over the coals until they char on the outside and the skins just slide off they are then easily prepared to store in olive oil with a clove of garlic.

I find this a very useful tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuscan Grill-tuscan-grill.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is the same as yours Greenman, but I used bolts instead of welded legs.Doing it this way makes the legs adjustable in height. Old grill plates are plentiful as BBQ's do not last all that long.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuscan Grill-pa020039.jpg   Tuscan Grill-pa020040.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Journeyman

David & Steve

Could either of you describe the process of firing your WFO if you only intend on grilling? Do you only make enough coals to grill?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just use the coals from heating the oven. Usually that means firing for around an hour to get enough coals. I usually then cook with the grill half in the oven and half in the entry with the coals raked forward so their under the grill.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Journeyman

So in about an hour I can have enough coals to grill? That nice, I wasn't sure if the dome needed to be clear and such. That takes me a good 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to do that and alot of wood. From what you describe doesn't sound like you use alot of wood?

Chris
Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No I don't. You will notice that the legs are pretty short on my grill and that means it"s close to the coals.
It is all trial and error.