Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Roasting and Grilling (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Slow Cooked Rib Strips (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/slow-cooked-rib-strips-10112.html)

scottz 01-11-2010 08:54 AM

Slow Cooked Rib Strips

Just thought I would drop a thread about some ribs I did over the xmas/new year. My wives uncle runs a meat works in central Queensland and was at our place along with my wives oldies for the holidays. He showed me these ribs when I was up at his place early last year and I have not been able to find them in Perth anywhere! I took him to my local butcher where he showed them how to cut them. The ribs are cut in a strip about 3 inches thick which includes the whole rib bone and all meat/fat surrounding. Anyway we fired up the oven to pizza hot and let in cool for about 30mins and in went the ribs to blast for about 20 - 30 mins to get some of the fat out and start the cooking proccess. We then removed the ribs and racked out 3/4 of the coals and let the oven cool so I was able to keep my hand in for a good 6 seconds. We made up the sauce/marinade and in went the ribs for 7 hours. (photos will be on here very soon!!) We had 18 people over for New Years and the 4 rib strips where gone in 30 seconds I kid you not!!!! The meat and the fat around the rib bone was like butter and they were the best ribs I have ever had.....no more eating out at steak houses for me, the resturant bought ribs are just too dissapointing now!!!

fxpose 01-11-2010 09:37 AM

Re: Slow Cooked Rib Strips

That sounds wonderful!
I would love to eventually do racks of spareribs in a WFO besides doing them on my Weber kettle. I'm really curious to see how they turn out.

lwood 01-14-2010 05:14 AM

Beef or pork?

heliman 01-14-2010 05:43 AM

I look forward to seeing the pics ... and the recipe???

BTW have you had ribs at the Trigg Island Cafe? If not - definitely worth a visit there to compare to yours. In my view they are the best I have ever tasted. These pork ribs simply fall off the bone and can be ordered in regular or chilli versions....

Rossco

scottz 01-14-2010 07:23 AM

The ribs I cooked where Beef ribs. The way the butcher cut them was if you have the whole rack on a bench in front of you, you cut them horizontally in strips of about 3 to 4 inches wide. You include the full section of bone, plus all the meat and fat that lies under the first sheet of muscle. The sauce I do them in is a mix of Sweet Chilli, chives, soy, ginger, maple syrip (i know...sounds strange), about 6 cloves of garlic and a few other bits. I did them again for my b'day just gone for my family and the old man who has had the odd rib or 5 said they are the best he has had!! I have been to the Trigg Cafe Rosco, but that was years ago...must get up there and try them one day. I am doing night shift at the moment, but when I wake up tomorrow I will be sure to put some pics on here.

heliman 01-14-2010 08:29 AM

Sounds good Scott - describing the rib making process is making me feel hungry!!!!

Yes, Trigg is good - you won't be disappointed...

Rossco

scottz 01-14-2010 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos....havent got any of the finshed product though...we were all too busy pigging out!!

heliman 01-14-2010 04:22 PM

Nice looking oven - is it a kit build??

Rossco

scottz 01-17-2010 04:32 PM

Yes it is a Kit built oven...I have a picture of the oven on my profile and will post more soon. It is just about complete, I just need to either tile the bench or get some kind of stone done...not sure yet which one (cost may be a bit of a factor too!). Have found this oven to be really good as it only takes 50 mins to get Pizza hot and it retains its heat for a long time as I did these ribs and a 10 kg leg of ham over 6 - 8hrs. After I took 3/4 of the coals out the temp stayed around the 150 to 110 C for a long time which was great to see as it is the first time I have slow cooked in the oven. The only other meats I have cooked in the WFO is a sholder of pork which i cooked at a very high heat. I covered it in foil and put some water with chicken stock in the bottom of the pan. I worked really well and didnt burn the meat at all. And although it only took 90 mins to cook it, after kind of working out the slow cooking process, I will be doing all my meats this way!!!

heliman 01-17-2010 04:57 PM

Sounds good ... have you made some pizza/bread in it too?

Rossco