Old 01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Slow Cooked Rib Strips

Hi,
Yes, we have made a stack of Pizzas in the WFO. And it is only now that we feel that they are starting to get really good! I started using the dough recipe that is on this site except I add Italian Mixed Herbs to it before I mix the yeast and salt in and have found the pizzas to be fantastic!! It takes a while to work out your oven too I think. We have even got a really good sauce recipe that i slowly simmer for 50 mins before letting it cool and using it. I think the best pizza I make (my wife will disagree with me, as she thinks her pizzas are better!!) is a prosutto and fetta...comes out great!! As for bread...it is something I really want to try soon. Have done a little reading on it, and it sounds slightly complicated in terms of adding humidity and things like that. The only kind of bread I have done is a flat garlic bread where I combined two pizza dough balls and stretched it adding holes through out the dough then crush 3 cloves of garlic, oragarno, salt and olive oil..spread all over and out it comes. Will like to try things like cibatta and sour dough and others one day.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds great!!

Just thinking about possible things here - perhaps we can look at going halves on a shipment of Caputo flour sometime in the future. Have you considered Caputo as an option? It is pretty pricey at $140 /25 kg but if you order 2 bags you get free shipping. I am keen to try it but would like to go for 12.5 kg to start with. Just something to think about. Let me know if you are interested.

Rossco
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

Hey Rossco,
Thanks for the offer mate...sorry for the late reply, have been busy with work and everything else! Will have to check with the Minster for Finance (the Mrs) about that one!!! We have a good supply of '00' Tipo flour at the moment though.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds good Scott....

Btw what 00 are you using? Molino Pizzuti by any chance?

Rossco
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Apprentice

Just a quick note to say I am doing my ribs again tomorrow...will make sure I take more photos this time to show the proccess better...cant wait till they are ready!!!! Going to do my first heath bread tomorrow too..should be intresting, started my Biga this morning so it should be ready to mix by 11am in the morning!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ribs sounds really great...

Keen to hear how the hearth bread goes - should be very tasty with the overnight biga.

Just about to start cooking 12 pizzas - made a batch of dough this morning that has stayed very firm so I expect good results. I did 6 mins autoloyse and 6 mins kneading ... so new "minimalist" approach.

There's the doorbell ... look forward to seeing pics tomorrow!!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Apprentice

Ribs turned out really good!!! Slow cooked for 7 hours along with potatos cooked for 4 hours in butter and garlic. The Ciabatta turned out really good too. Didnt realise how much of a 'heavy' bread it is. But it had great bubbles through the bread and worked well with our dips. I wish I could upload more pics...but there are too big (2.1 Mb) Next time I have to look at my camera and reduce the quality a bit. The one pic I did manage to get on is the ribs just before a I put them in to burn off some fat. Love them!!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Slow Cooked Rib Strips-img_4264.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow nice meaty ribs!!!

Sounds like you had a good cooking session overall...

My activities in contrast were dismal!!

BTW did you use the door when making the ciabatta??
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Apprentice

No Rossco..I didnt use the door. About 40 mins to go with the ribs I started a small fire on the side of the oven and waited till it got a small bit of heat going (cooking the ribs at about 120-150C so only needed a little more heat to get to 220C). When it died down a bit, I threw them in and 20 mins later...all done!!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha ... you are making me feel hungry just thinking about them now!!!