Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Of course, you need to have your veggie if you are going to eat that much heavy food. I cooked some brussel sprout by using a recipe from Chef David Chang of NYC.

Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Mint Recipe - David Chang | Food & Wine

However, I did't use any rice cereal and mint like David Chang did for his recipe but it still came out great because I used WFO to cook my brussels sprouts. My wife usually don't care for brussels sprouts but I changed her feeling about brussels sprouts last night after she had some of my WFO brussels sprouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1155.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1163.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1165.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1157.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1167.jpg  

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Peasant

WOW...that lobster looks great!

Ever try crawfish in your WFO?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Apprentice

I might do that when crawfish season start. I thought about that the other day but crawfish when it is just too small to split in half and prepared like I did with the lobster. However, I have done some crazy when it comes to cooking and I surely will give it a shot with crawfish after a few beer.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu, The lobster looks great!
As for as the "mudbugs" go in the WFO, my first thoughts are crawfish etouffee, and definately some, left overs (from the boil as a pizza topping . Oops!, I think I just let one of my first dishes out of the bag .

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Apprentice

Gulf,

I believe a few people from this forum have tried mudbugs pizza and I may give it a shot during lent season. I have to say I am still in disbelief how amazing the WFO as a cooking tool. Granted that it may take a lot of time to heat up the WFO, but the joy that you get to use wood fire is so much fun. Have you fire up yet?

Tu Dat

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No fires as of yet. Lots of rain, hot weather and to many hours at work .
I am a little afraid that if I start cooking that I will not finish the decorative stuff. The way it is looking right now that will probably be on after the start of "Bounty Season" .
Geauxe Saints!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,

Like your new thread on cooking in the WFO. I am putting you in the same category as Karanga Dude....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Russell,

I wouldn't put myself in the same category as Karanga Dude because he is at another level. I am just a guy who is trying to cook a meal for the wife so that she won't yell at him for spending too much time with on the WFO project.
Gulf likes this.

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Apprentice

I butterflied a whole chicken and marinated (paprika, onion, garlic, mustard, black pepper, salt) it for about 6 hours. I heated up the WFO for about 3 1/2 hour. When the WFO temp was about 550 degree, I pushed the chicken into the WFO. After 45 minutes, I checked on the chicken and it was done perfectly. Let it rest for 15 minutes and we went out of town with it. It was the best chicken that I have ever cooked. The skin was crispy and the meat was very juicy. Not a bad Sunday night meal at all. My picky two years old son loves it.

One key advice that I learn from watching a short segment on Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservation” which the great American Chef, Thomas Keller suggested that you should let the chicken sit at room temperature one hour before you cooked it to ensure that chicken cooked evenly.

Can’t wait for Thanksgiving! I have to cook one bird for my side of family and another bird my wife side of the family too.
Attached Thumbnails
Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1203.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1205.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1209.jpg   Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!-img_1210.jpg  

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 08-06-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,

I want to be part of your family.......looks really tasty!