Old 12-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Tarik,

Do you have a list of spices you would use. I would like to see that. We had some wonderful stews when we were in Istanbul that I have been trying, with limited success, to replicate here.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Apprentice

Default spices

http://www.zamourispices.com/index.html

Has a pretty good selection that should get you into the ballpark.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Excellent. Thanks.
James

Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Do you have a list of spices you would use. I would like to see that. We had some wonderful stews when we were in Istanbul that I have been trying, with limited success, to replicate here.
That's a nice website. I'll have to give it a try myself.

James, I normally mix my own spice rubs, and while I could not give you a definite list of what I would use since I kind of do it on the fly, the typical flavors of this type of dish would probably include some of the following:

allspice, cumin, saffron, red pepper (cayenne), paprika, sumac (this is one of the very distinctive arabic spices), thyme, sage, aleppo pepper (very nice), cinnamon, etc..

These are perhaps the most commonly used. The combinations are endless and custom to every cook who ever came out of the mid-east. :-)

For this type of lamb dish, I would probably experiment with allspice, cinnamon, aleppo pepper, and perhaps saffron, lots of onion, some garlic, and some type of fruit in the rice such as raisins, currants, or dried apricots.

Regards,

Tarik
Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Serf

Default lamb recipe

Hi Tarik,

I did the lamb again at the weekend - it was even better than the first one! I would love to hear how your eastern lamb goes cooked overnight - it should be sensational.

Could you please share the recipe?

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.