Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Roast coffee beans???

Jeeppiper
Any updates, lessons learned, tips and tricks on your WFO coffee roasting adventures? Just got my first batch of green beans and was going to start with a electric popcorn popper to get the feel for it. Ordered a coffee roasting drum that goes on a BBQ rotiserre. I am going to try it in the BBQ first and then rig it for the WFO.

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like a great idea. Freshly roasted coffee is a big improvement on old roasted. We often roast almonds in the WFO, which are a huge improvement on non roasted.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Apprentice

Once I started roasting coffee, I cant go back now. That means I am firing up the oven every two weeks just to roast coffee.

Tips....I am by no means an expert, but one thing I noticed is that it is good to get an active fire going (rather than just heating up your oven. I am thinking the radiant heat is important. I spread my fire all the way around the perimeter, then stick my roaster basket (two sandwiched strainers clamshelled together) in the center.

I go strickly by roast color, rather than first-crack/second crack of the beans.

I actually demonstrated my rig to a local restaurant who has a WFO pizza oven. They are now planning to serve French-pressed coffee tableside using beans roasted in their oven.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Master Builder

Hi Jeep,

Be especially careful if you're judging your roast by color when you have an active fire going. Think of a novice baking a turkey or bread for the first time, brown and beautiful on the outside, raw on the inside. First and second crack of the beans are important indicators that shouldn't be over looked, there will be beans that takes half the time and others that will take twice as long to reach these stages. Just because you "Be Thinking Something", doesn't mean you "Thunk Right"! (just some humor).