Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Roasting and Grilling (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Rabbit stew with dumplings (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/rabbit-stew-dumplings-3412.html)

Frances 02-24-2008 12:21 PM

Rabbit stew with dumplings

2 Attachment(s)
Rabbit is one of my favourites, but I've never done it in the WFO till today. And this was the best Rabbit I've ever tasted!

This fed two hungry adults.

Brown 1/2 a rabbit cut into 5 pieces in your cast iron pot with olive oil (and with a new knob on :)), add chopped onion and some bacon cubes. When browned, add chopped veg (in this case a leek, two carrots, and some peas), chopped rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for a while then slosh rose wine and some water over the top until nearly covered, bring to the boil, slam on the lid and place in your oven at 110 C.

After about one hour add 4 large dumpligs made of

4 heaped table spoons of wholemeal flour
4 table spoons of oats
2 large table spoons of coconut fat
salt to taste
and enough water to make a stiff dough

The dumplings take 20 mins to half an hour to cook.

This was really really good!

And for desert - by popular request - we had MORE MGANIFICENT MACAROONS, but I'll spare you the photos this time...

Xabia Jim 02-24-2008 11:09 PM

Re: Rabbit stew with dumplings

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 25023)
slam on the lid :D and place in your oven at 110 C.

Frances are you afraid the poor rabbit is going to get away....

Sounds tasty!
Jim

Frances 02-25-2008 02:41 AM

You never know - we've had moving pizzas, haven't we?

Btw, did you ever hear of the receipe in Mrs Beaton's which starts with "first catch you hare"?

Xabia Jim 02-25-2008 05:48 AM

I'm seeing rabbits on the road below us...coming out to enjoy the sun.....but alas, vaughn won't let me catch them.

gjbingham 02-25-2008 06:35 AM

Sounds great Fances. There's no rabbits aound here to try it on. How about a possum or racoon?

Frances 02-25-2008 08:24 AM

Sure, I've done that receipe with just about any kind of meat I could find. Any part of a cow or calf, horse, chicken, turkey, lamb...

Ostrich is the only meat I didn't like with it so far.

Seriously though, do/can you eat possum and raccoon? I was in Texas for a while years and years ago and very surprised to discover people would eat squirrels.

gjbingham 02-25-2008 11:18 AM

I think there's a few people living out in the woods that would still eat possum. Ken??? That's a southern dish, huh?? ;) There's a lot available as road kill - (yuk)

Racoon - Naaaa

Squirrels - once again, heard it done, wouldn't do it myself. This topic is turning my stomach a bit. I think I feel a gag coming on. :)

asudavew 02-25-2008 11:37 AM

Squirrel = big rat with bushy tail.

Same O... Same O...

Rats do, however, make wonderful pets.

Can't wait to try this recipe though!

Looks yummy.

RCLake 02-25-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 25058)
Seriously though, do/can you eat possum and raccoon? I was in Texas for a while years and years ago and very surprised to discover people would eat squirrels.

My first stint in Texas after college, my officemate brought in squirrel gumbo. :eek: Was shamed faced into eating it.:(

Frances 02-25-2008 12:28 PM

Yes, well... the guy who ate squirrels said he'd never eat rabbit "because they're so sweet and fluffy"...

Until I met you guys I assumed all Americans were like that ;).

Hey George, you're the seasoned traveller! Where's your sense of adventure? I once ate what I hope was guinea pig in South America.