Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pulled Pork Sandwich

Thanks for the advice. Will try a scaled-down version of the drum tonight.

XJim, asked the butcher about suckling pigs yesterday
Try 35kg. (For 4 people? Not on your nelly, mate).
Don't know how I missed your image of the 20 or so spitted pigs. I guess they're wholesalers eh. (Or a flamin big family.)

GJB, weather is just on the turn and picture perfect at the moment. Will have to dig out long sleeve shirts soon. I'm afraid I'm not cold-tolerant.
Stay gentle you mob.
Jeff.

ps. Frances, any more swirling, curvy suggestions eagerly awaited. J.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Long sleeve t-shirts, no doubt, eh Jeff? Suffer through the low 20s C. Onya mate!

-
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Journeyman

George I worked with a Canadian farm boy in tropical N Queensland many years ago. Admittedly he spun a good yarn, but keeping a dairy heard in a shed all flamin' winter!!!

That is not natural.

Man is essentially a tropical beast. I would prang my car on the first icy road, then freeze to death in the first modest snow fall.
To those of you who live in such places goes my unbounded admiration and wonder. (Wild-caught Salmon? Trout? Tempting....but no.)
Your Spring eh?
Enjoy and good health.
J.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Jeffy. It's all about furnaces - heat combustables, warm the house, costs many dollars, but cozy just the same.

Man is not a tropical beast. Man manipulates his(her) living conditions to make life as comfortable as possible. We'd all be living in Africa, South America and Asia if we were tropical, and be suffering nasty bugs burried in our skin. No thanks!

I love vacationing in the tropics, but its nice not to sweat profusely on a daily basis too. Mmmffff, I'd say more, but my mouth is full of salmon.

Atya. Thanks for the Spring wishes. Hopefully, the sun will show up soon.
George

-
Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After Jim's billboard post on hamburger buns, I may soon give them a try; will be my first attempt at any bread making. Seems like a perfect starting point for me, since my local bakery does no better than the mega bakeries that bake for the grocery stores.

RT
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=jeff;28502]Thanks for the advice. Will try a scaled-down version of the drum tonight.

XJim, asked the butcher about suckling pigs yesterday
Try 35kg. (For 4 people? Not on your nelly, mate).
Don't know how I missed your image of the 20 or so spitted pigs. I guess they're wholesalers eh. (Or a flamin big family.)
QUOTE]

Teach
Sounds like a pretty big pig for a piglet. You'll have lots of pulled pork sandwiches left over from that one!

And on the Chesnuts, you need to poke them with a knife first so they don't explode. I think if you heated a terracotta dish in the WFO and then threw in the chesnuts, you could stirr them a while and they'd be ok. Otherwise, remember the christmas song "roasting chesnuts by an open fire". I've done that..put them by the coals and keep turning. Experiment a bit but don't burn them too bad.

I'll post the old time castano roasters I just found in the market too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Man is not a tropical beast. Man manipulates his(her) living conditions to make life as comfortable as possible. We'd all be living in Africa, South America and Asia if we were tropical, and be suffering nasty bugs burried in our skin.
That's just the thing. I often think it'd be nice to live somwhere warmer, but then you think about all the creepy crawlies around in those climates... So give me a good sharp winter once a year to kill them all off!! (...well appart from the slugs of course, but you can't have everything.)
Old 04-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This one's for you CJ - Kaiser rolls, bulkies, New York hard rolls - alla Reinhart! I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.

Sadly, they're already vacuum sealed and frozen - awaiting their ultimate fate. Tomorrow's my anniversary so dinner's out on the town. Pulled pork Monday hopefully. Then we'll give them the test against the dreaded mass-produced hamburger bun.

Hopefully, I've served my penance. Thanks for redirecting my wayward path in life!
Attached Thumbnails
Pulled Pork Sandwich-kaiser.jpg  

-

Last edited by gjbingham; 04-06-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.
They look great, nonetheless. I had to order malt powder from King Arthur. SW Va's no better for baking!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
This one's for you CJ - Kaiser rolls, bulkies, New York hard rolls - alla Reinhart!.
You guys are making me spin in my grave The only "real" bread for BBQ is white bread. Good ol'fashioned air-filled store-bought white bread. Hamburger buns are okay if you insist on making a sammich. Corn cakes will do quite fine, also.

Kaiser/bulkie/hard rolls - much too sophisticated for 'que!

Quote:
I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.
Try your local beer homebrewing shop!