Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pulled Pig experience

Looks good Wade, low and slow!

I'm still looking forward to trying the large chunks of pork I see at the butcher.

and PP, no hard feelings. I smoke a lot with the door but it has dampers on the intake and chimney so there's usually a fire in process there. Smokey bread anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Journeyman

Yeah... I was on the theme where the door was completely closed and the fire was suffocating.
So, with the door ajar the air gets sucked in at a desirable rate and is exhausted through the chimney. I get it now. I was way off on that one. Sorry, Jim. Happy Easter!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Apprentice

This weekend we turned the oven into a "somewhat" smoker, we made our pulled pork. Chef Phil placed 2 pieces of thickcut bacon on top of the pork sholder made a paste with lots of spices and painted it on the meat. I soaked the jack daniels wood chips in water for 20 mins, then made with two layers of tin foil a "chip holder". We put the pork in a 9 qt dutch oven, and headed to the back yard placed the "Chip holder" on hot embers and placed the pork in the UNCOVERED dutch oven along with our 2 pots of baked beans and chicken stock pot. Then we walked away form the oven at 10pm. Checked in at 11am pullled the pork YUMO!

As you can see in one of the photos we do not completly shut the oven door it is left ajar so you can get the smoke effect...you can see the smoke coming from the chimney.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulled Pig experience-fb-1.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-fb2.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-fb3.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-fb4.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-fb5.jpg  

Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Here is the finished product....oh the last photo on the previous post to to show that the two layers of heavy duty tin foil do not burn up in the oven to cause any nasty fumes or taste!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pulled Pig experience-fb6.jpg  

Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Master Builder

Thought I'd add this to the thread "Pulled Pork Experience"...

Started yesterday with mixing the dough about 3:00 and at 8:00 doing a stretch and fold and placed into the frig overnight. Then removed from the frig this am and onto my work surface (photo: the blob). Another stretch and fold and divide and shape and set to do final rise. The result: two dozen rolls. Then the pork shoulder into the WFO and return enough of the coals to smoke for an hour (photo of the shoulder in roaster) and a photo of a reject roll cut in half roll, cut horizontally. This roll was deformed when I replaced the frypan and munched the roll..thus the flat area on edge. When I am firing for a bake I preheat a large cast iron fry pan. This pan is where I spray water to get the steam. I pull it momentarily to remove the coals and snuffle and then return to the hot WFO when normalizing the heat. Then out momentarily while loading and back in and spray into it. Massive steam, close up and thirty seconds later repeat and then again at one minute.

Don't know if this is an orthodox process just what I have figured out that works for me.

Pork will be out tomorrow and consumed on the rolls. YUM!

Bests,
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Pulled Pig experience-blob-.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-rolls-just-wfo.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-two-dozen-rolls.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-x-section-deformed-roll.jpg   Pulled Pig experience-pulled-pork-episode-2.jpg  

Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Apprentice

Wade, I am so impressed!

What was the dough recipe and the temp of the oven?

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Master Builder

Bill, I'm guessing that you are confusing me (Wiley) with Wade (wlively) if I'm wrong please ignore this post.

I am new to all this and so after trying several recipes blind with mixed results I have decided to start with what I have the most experience with and expand from there. So this is a fairly wet dough sort of based on the "No Knead Bread" recipe:

1200 gms white flour (Costco ConAgra Mills "Harvest" supposedly for bread)
300 grams home ground whole wheat berries ( Montana "Bronze Chief")
3/4 teaspoon dried yeast (Red Star)
16 gms ground sea salt
1200 grams water

Oven temp was 525F on the hearth and just over 600F on dome. Bake time was 20 minutes I could have probably pulled it at 18 or 19 minutes. Internal temp of the rolls was 209F. By using a wet dough I find I can use a hotter oven which has yielded bread with a nicer browner crust. If my calculations are correct this is a dough with 80% hydration.

Here is a picture of the pulled pork this morning.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Pulled Pig experience-pulled-pork-2a.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Apprentice

Hi Wiley, what recipe do you use with your rolls?
Thanks

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Master Builder

Bill, the recipe ingredients listed above are combined using the "No Knead Bread" process.

I start the day before the bake usually around four in the afternoon and do a stretch and fold just before going to bed and place the dough in the fridge. The following morning I pull the bowl out first thing before our morning walk. Then about two hours after the walk I do another stretch and fold and divide and shape the rolls, placing them on baker's parchment. The parchment makes transferring the rolls to the WFO easy and fast. Then about an hour later I light the WFO and about an 40 minutes later fire is raked out. The cast iron fry pan I use to create steam is transferred from the flaming WFO to a wood pad set on the the shelf outside for the few minutes the raking requires. Once the coals are raked out the pan goes back inside. The door is left off during the first five to ten minutes after the coals are raked out so the temp drops to a more useable range. The last ten minutes the door is closed so the temps can equalize between dome and hearth. The door is opened and the pan once again removed. The floor is then snuffled with a wet towel on the end of a stick/pole and in go the rolls; and the pan is set back inside and sprayed with a quick blast from the garden sprayer and the door shut. Thirty seconds later the door is opened and another short blast of water into the pan and the door closed for the duration of the bake.

I have a dedicated stainless steel sprayer which is filled with hot water while the fire is heating the WFO. The Ove Glove is a great invention!

The stretch and fold process I learned and use came from this link:

Sourdough Home - Stretch and Fold - A Gentle Way To Develop Dough

The double spray (thirty seconds apart) technique came from Richard Bertinet's book: "Crust, Bread To Get Your Teeth Into".

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

Wiley, this is very helpful and I appreciate the time and effort to put it together.

Had 30 people over for a holiday social and used Trader Joe's and Costco solely for the food. Great spread and easy to slip hors d'oeuvres in and out of the oven. Found this at Costco and it was fantastic. Extremely moist and flavorful. Your rolls would have been perfect for the next day's sandwiches. All ready cooked and only needed 45 minutes in the oven before serving.
Costco
I see they're constantly sold out so here's the manufacturers website:
Porchetta Primata | Traditional Italian Porchetta

In a pinch!

Bill

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures: