Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: "Possum Korn"

Great story dave can't beat old memories! Do you still make butter yourself today ?

"95% reading this forum 5% building"
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fun link, we make butter once in a while for special occasions and add chives and form for the Holidays. There is no saving money doing this and actually twice as much as store both butter but we can say we made it ourselves.

Gulf, have not had a chance to try the possum corn yet but on the cue for the next firing. Our local salt and pepper corn is at peak right now. Getting enough SM to eat but that's it. How the cousins doing?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,
As a boy, I "did my time" on the butter churn Say'n Gee meant that that the mule was going to step on your foot , if you did not slide to the right .

Just kidding about the mule. My dad had a poppin john, by the time that I came along .

Thanks Ya'll, for the input. I strive to learn something every day.

Russell,
The maters, really put on a show. But, it seams that they have a short growing season. They are on the decline down here in the heat. I'm not sure, if it is the way that I watered them, but they seem to have gotten the blight early this year. My wife says that they were scalded. Next year, everthing that I plant will have a soaker hose planted underneath. I had intended to start some from seed about a month apart. But, I think that rooting the suckers from the early plants will help extend the season, and also help adapt the next generations of SMs to the south.

Last edited by Gulf; 08-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Apprentice

Hey Gulf - I know we're past corn season, but early in September I had some corn that didn't slide out very easily and got lots of "suggestions" on how to improve my grip & squeeze strength. Since I don't do well with peer pressure, I wondered if I could somehow improve the possum korn shuck...

I baked the corn as before, but instead of cutting off the stem, I just cut around the base through the shuck and kernels. Then I used the stem end as a handle and do a pull-apart motion with the upper husk. It certainly worked better for me and the corn still comes out pretty silk-free. Some folks at the table wanted to keep the handle on to eat their corn and others broke it off before chowing down. Anyway, thought you might want to try this next season.

In the pics below you'll notice that I had to make some dessert muffins while baking the corn. Kept the muffins up front where it was slightly cooler and put 'em on an inverted half sheet pan to keep the bottoms from being over caramelized.
Attached Thumbnails
"Possum Korn"-possumkorn_01.jpg   "Possum Korn"-possumkorn_02.jpg   "Possum Korn"-possumkorn_04.jpg   "Possum Korn"-possumkorn_05.jpg   "Possum Korn"-possumkorn_06.jpg  

)

Photo albums

Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike,

That is a great! idea, only cutting through the husks, leaving the stem for a handle. I will definately be adding that one to my repertoire . The last corn that I did in the oven was late season yellow corn. I don't normally have problems with either sweet or yellow corn easily sliding out of the husks. But, I did with that batch. I was running behind with the other foods and did not inject the corn with butter. I also had to brush some of the silk off and it was dryer than I had expected. It was good but, not great. It could have been old corn, or it could have been that I had not injected it. I wish now, that I had taken the time to inject half of that batch for a comparison.

Last edited by Gulf; 10-19-2014 at 04:27 PM.

« WFO Maine Lobster | - »