Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: "Possum Korn"

I lived in Houston for a while and a grocery store I shopped at always had a guy selling roasted corn seasoned with chili, cumin, salt and crumbled Mexican cheese. I've made it like that but pulled back the husk and added the seasoning before cooking in the husk. i need to try out an injection.
Gulf likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had some great! roasted corn at a flea market in Mobile, Alabama last weekend. Probably, the best that I have ever had from any concession. I buy a stick every trip. They advertise advertise as yellow corn, but I would bet the farm, that what I had last weekend was sweet corn. I doubt that they inject, but it was real good. I am pretty sure that they roast in the shuck. Corn: roasted while sealed inside it's own shuck, in it's natural juices is great, even if it is not injected. I did notice though, that they still had some silk left on the ear. The pealed back shucks make a convenient handle for someone who is eating, while walking around looking at the booths. Their corn is good, but all the seasoning is added after the cook by the customer. That is pobably a great idea, if you are trying to please folks from all over the world.

I have found that injecting with butter helps the squeeze method to work much better for grilled or roasted corn. And, some added seasonings helps too. Kurt, you being from, South Louisana, I bet that you would know what seasonings that your guests would like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

Had a 345F temp in the oven from my last bread bake and thought I'd try out the Possum Korn method. I didn't have a meat injector, so I just peeled back a section and smeared in some butter. I put a layer of tin foil on a half sheet pan and laid the cobs on it. Since I thought my temp was a little low, I left 'em in for 40 minutes. Cut the ends & squeezed as Gulf described and the "cleaned" ears came out pretty nice. Ground up some cumin & pepper and then lightly crushed some sea salt with the crushed spice mix to sprinkle over the ears. Easy clean-up, great flavor, and really fun...I think I'll be hard pressed to go back to doing my corn any other way.

Now I guess I'll have to find a meat/corn injector and try a little bit higher temps to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor...by the way, what temps do you shoot for with this method?

Thanks for posting this Gulf!
Gulf likes this.
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 08-10-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetheldc View Post
............For other flavours you could heat them together slowly with the butter in a pan then pour through a fine sieve before putting in your meat injector my fav is chilli butter and garlic half of each slowly heated in the butter also clarifies the butter for you!
I just caught the clarified butter part of your post. That is interesting. I had never heard of the term.

"Clarified butter is milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat.[1] Typically, it is produced by melting butter and allowing the components to separate by density. The water evaporates, some solids float to the surface and are skimmed off, and the remainder of the milk solids sink to the bottom and are left behind when the butter fat (which would then be on top) is poured off."

Clarified butter has a higher smoke point (485 °F or 252 °C) than regular butter (325-375 °F or 163-190 °C), and is therefore preferred in some cooking applications, such as sautéing. Clarified butter also has a much longer shelf life than fresh butter. It has negligible amounts of lactose and casein and is, therefore, acceptable to most who have a lactose intolerance or milk allergy.

Those are just a couple of exerpts from the Wikipedia link above. The regional variatons of clarified butter are every bit as interesting to me. Thanks, very much! for that post. I think that it will help me get to the flavor of the corn that I am looking for, but I am sure that the info will help me a lot in some of the Southern style dishes that I am wanting to perfect in the oven .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
I lived in Houston for a while and a grocery store I shopped at always had a guy selling roasted corn seasoned with chili, cumin, salt and crumbled Mexican cheese. I've made it like that but pulled back the husk and added the seasoning before cooking in the husk. i need to try out an injection.

Kurt,
I saw a link on Google for a Mexican recipe for roasted corn similar to what you described with the cheese. It said that instead of butter, it was popular to use mayonaise. That is something to look in to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
Had a 345F temp in the oven from my last bread bake and thought I'd try out the Possum Korn method. I didn't have a meat injector, so I just peeled back a section and smeared in some butter. I put a layer of tin foil on a half sheet pan and laid the cobs on it. Since I thought my temp was a little low, I left 'em in for 40 minutes. Cut the ends & squeezed as Gulf described and the "cleaned" ears came out pretty nice. Ground up some cumin & pepper and then lightly crushed some sea salt with the crushed spice mix to sprinkle over the ears. Easy clean-up, great flavor, and really fun...I think I'll be hard pressed to go back to doing my corn any other way.

Now I guess I'll have to find a meat/corn injector and try a little bit higher temps to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor...by the way, what temps do you shoot for with this method?

Thanks for posting this Gulf!
You're welcome Sablesprings,

I like 350 degrees F, for 30 to 40 minutes, in the oven or on the grill with indirect heat. I use 30 to 40 minutes (with a little guess work) for the time. Since, (WFOs, stick fired, lump, or charcoal fired grills) can be a little difficult to regulate the starting temp, you will have to adjust the cooking time.

As for the last part of your post, get the small needle found on the shelf in most supermarkets. Some, on another forum, have found that the larger needle used for meat injecton is too large and will take out a whole row of kernels, when injected from the ends as advised. You may try the higher heat and maybe longer temps. Please report your results if you find that it works. But, I think that the flavor that you are looking for is the carmelization of the sugars. Roasting corn in its husks traps the natural flavors inside for a steamed corn effect. I don't know if you will get that from injecting and baking alone.
"to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor".I am not sure, but you may be describing grilled corn. That is great too. But, the corn is cooked necked (direct or indirect) heat above live coals. That can do a little drying out. I think that you might want to try cooking your corn in it's own juices. Separate the corn from it's husks, then sear (carmelize) the corn over open coals. You might want to dip your corn in a special BBQ butter, before and after, the open coals. I am looking into this one by BobbyFlay and a take on Leetheldc's recipee. A sugestion from another forum was "smoked butter". Clarified, and smoked butter is worthy of thread of it's own. Just remember that solids are not injected real well through a small needle.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Master Builder

Gulf - Clarified butter is a staple in some countries and can be purchased in cans and is sold as GHEE. Better to cook with because the milk solids and other impurities are the bits that burn and GHEE handles the heat a little better. One of the countries that exported a lot of this is Australia.

I too like to cook corn in the husk but have never imagined cooking corn becoming an art form and it seems you guys have already done that. It is listen an learn for me with this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Gulf - Clarified butter is a staple in some countries and can be purchased in cans and is sold as GHEE. Better to cook with because the milk solids and other impurities are the bits that burn and GHEE handles the heat a little better. One of the countries that exported a lot of this is Australia.

I too like to cook corn in the husk but have never imagined cooking corn becoming an art form and it seems you guys have already done that. It is listen an learn for me with this.
G'day
Canned butter ( glee) I know to well, in its canned form it was known as part of your "battle rations" as a sailor.
It's the most important part of "Kye" are real strength chocolate drink made in the wee hours to keep the boys going.
Double choc powder , double powdered milk , and gee. Stick to your ribs but if you let it cool .... The butter fat stuck to the top.
Wouldn't be included in the heart safe diet today
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, to you both Steve, and Dave.

Dave,

I would think that roasting corn in the husk, in it's own juices, without any additives would be the most "heart safe" method. It is good.................... To be honest, it is very good. But, since I am about finished with mine, I would still like to explore a "great! taisting one"............................every now and then .

Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: "Possum Korn"

G'day buddy
You shared you heart with us and we all thank you.
There are Lots of foods in this world. If you segregate them into good and bad, life gets to a lot of gilt.
Bugger that !!!!
Some of those guilty foods are actually "soul foods" good for the soul but not for the body. Sometimes its good to have a happy soul
All in the right a Amount... I like butter, salted butter, when I can get it. Not often but what the heck
Regards
Dave
Gulf likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 08-12-2014, 03:50 AM
Apprentice

I love this little thread I maybe should of made the clarifying more clear like dave and Steve said it's basically ghee highly used in Indian cuisine it's used a lot here in uk for pancakes both in the batter and to fry on a couple off mins in a warm pan just skimming the scum from the top with a spoon . To take this further I like to make my own butter salt it to my taste and make as much as I need very simple to do all you need is a food processor with a whipping blade and double cream just whip away until it separates loose all the liquid and form together the solids on some greasproof paper and flavour with salt 39 mins in the fridge and it's spreadable ! And ready to clarify !
Gulf likes this.

"95% reading this forum 5% building"
Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Raw milk, unprocessed, was left to sit. The cream when to the top and was skimmed off. What was left was buttermilk, slightly tart, slightly acidic. Perfectly to activate self raising flour to make pancakes.
The cream whipped in an hand operated butter churn was then patted between 2 wooden paddles to remove the last of the weigh.
Salted it became table butter to spread on bread.
Unsalted it was heated to separate the last of the hard fat from the last of the protein and water. The gee was the perfect thing to cook your pancakes in.
And then serve them with homemade strawberry jam and whipped cream.
This was what my grandma used to do ... And I was the kid on the butter churn.
Regards dave
Gulf likes this.

My Build

My Door