Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Pork Spareribs

I will have to try the low heat approach and then crank it up with them foil covered with apple juice and brown sugar. Sounds delicious.

Until now, I have been having good luck with them being tender and moist cooking them uncovered using higher heat than you guys describe(less than 300)for a shorter time by brining them while firing the oven in a 5% salt and brown sugar solution. They were turning out dry and tough until I started brining recently. I am impatient and usually decide to do ribs too late in the day to cook so low and slow, but I will definately try it when I have more forsight.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Thinking cooked to long. Not long enough it would not have been so dry. One more thing ....it could have been one tough pig.

I think I would have smoked early then wrapped in foil. I think the last 1.75 opened did the drying out.
I agree with you on this Faith. I smoke a decent amount of ribs in a Smokey Mountain Bullet smoker. The best results I have is getting the smoke on them early and then wrapping them in foil for the last 3 hours or so in a 4-5 hour smoke.

I haven't tried this in my WFO, but hope to soon.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
You ain't another Brethren are ya' ...........
Gulf, I am though...tried different things but being in the UK is a drawback
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Apprentice

Doing pork spare ribs myself right now.

Had them in the oven for a few hours and are now wrapped.

My problem: How do you light the hickory wood for smoking?

I have some which I soaked in water for 25m as per instructions. I drained and put them on the coals/ash but they didn't started smoking.
I tried lighting them with my butane torch but that didn't work either.
Oven was around 130c (265f) when I put them in. It's now at 115c or so I think.

How do you guys get your hickory wood to smoke in a WFO after it's been out for 16 hours?
Do I need to buy some coals and fire them under the wood wrapped in alfoil with holes?

ps. ribs will still be awesome coz they are marinated and slow cooked, just wont be smokey.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Master Builder

Hi Applor,

Smoking is not an afterthought! Normally you start by smoking, the foiling of the meat is to retain juiciness, if you want to sauce and add a glaze, then you unwrap coat with sauce and cook uncovered for a few minutes not allowing it to dry out.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Apprentice

Yeah I did try and start by smoking but I couldn't get the wood to smoke so I had to leave it!
I am asking how you get your hickory wood to smoke in a WFO...
Old 05-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Master Builder

You make a fire, once the fire has reduced to embers, you place the wet wood chips on the embers and once they heat up you get smoke. Throw them on a flaming wood and you`re get fire.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
You make a fire, once the fire has reduced to embers, you place the wet wood chips on the embers and once they heat up you get smoke. Throw them on a flaming wood and you`re get fire.
There is an easier way, if you can lay hands on hickory chunks, rather than chips. These are roughly fist-sized pieces of wood. In the states you can buy a 20lb bag for ~$17 and Home Depot; not sure what's available in Oz.

I fill a quick-start chimney with hickory chunks, and put that in the WFO (depending on your entry, this may be a touch awkward). Light it with a newspaper, and let it go until the chunks are all lit (10-15 minutes). Dump the coals out onto the floor of the oven, then shove them to the back with your oven rake. If you want, throw a couple of soaked chunks on top of the pile now. Put the meat in, then close the door all the way for a few seconds to extinguish the active flame. Then crack the door open. The chunks should smoke for 1-2 hours before dying out, which gives you plenty of smokey flavor. Once the smoke is all the way gone, wrap if you want to and then close the door all the way to retain heat.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As long as your door seals pretty well the chips just smoke rather than flame. At least that what happens in my little oven. Pork spare ribs are just so ridiculously expensive here and you are paying mostly for bone. An alternative is to slow cook some pork chops, which are way cheaper and have plenty of meat. After the fire has died and the sting is out of the oven I throw some in a baking dish with half a glass of red, throw half a handful of hickory chips on the coals, close the door fully, when they're done baste with pork spare rib sauce and put them back in for a good long roasting.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Apprentice

I'm cooking beef ribs tonight so I'll give the smoking part another shot.