Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: ok - bit of a wuss but need to cook pig minus head

That is what I want to to....Like your thermometer, I want to go straight to cooking piglets

Looks very appetizing!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Laborer

Default Re: ok - bit of a wuss but need to cook pig minus head

LOL@Lburou
The meat was excellent - I could taste the marinade (which I made up as I went along!) Unfortunately because the pot had it's lid on all through cooking the skin was not edible. Never mind - saved us a heart attack or 2!
As we've only ever cooked pizza - and thrown in the odd pan of veg or a piece of pork after the pizzas - we were very impressed with our piggy!
And so were our guests and believe me a family of Greek (meat loving) in laws are not the easiest to impress with meat dishes!!
They are expert lamb on spit chefs!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimenia View Post
LOL@Lburou
The meat was excellent - I could taste the marinade (which I made up as I went along!) Unfortunately because the pot had it's lid on all through cooking the skin was not edible. Never mind - saved us a heart attack or 2!
As we've only ever cooked pizza - and thrown in the odd pan of veg or a piece of pork after the pizzas - we were very impressed with our piggy!
And so were our guests and believe me a family of Greek (meat loving) in laws are not the easiest to impress with meat dishes!!
They are expert lamb on spit chefs!
Wheres the like button.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Merry Christmas Asimenia and congratulation on little piggy in the outdoor pizza oven. (Not to mention: showing the in-laws that non-Greeks can cook meat too ) The pic looks great and I bet the meat was delicious. You may just have created a family tradition with your Christmas Pig in the outdoor oven!
Yasou!
Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Laborer

Thanks all - brickie in oz - your 'like' has been noted!
Dino - Kala Christouyenna kai Kali Kronia! I've already up-turned the Greek celebrations - without me (the Brit) they wouldn't be 'karaoke singers', Wii champions, or even know what a 'Christmas cracker' is! I had them wearing paper hats - even my mother in law (77) who has problems walking threw down her walking stick and belly danced with her grand daughter!
I must say the pig was easier than doing a turkey (which Greeks are not keen on) - My side of the table had brussel sprouts, carrots, peas, gravy etc - their side had salads, tsatziki, bread, meat, potatoes etc - so we were all happy!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Master Builder

Looks great asimenia, too bad about the skin. That's my favorite part. I think leaving the lid off the entire time would have made it crispy. Or maybe just part of the time.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is a good looking pig! Perhaps you could have thrown the whole thing on the BBQ after it was cooked to crisp the skin. That is essentially the method I use when I roast a whole pig in our Caja China http://www.lacajachina.com/cooking-i...pork.htmlAfter it is fully cooked, we boost the temperature and turn the pig skin side up to crisp it.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Journeyman

Link was not properly working. Here is the link

Cooking Instructions | cooking instructions

or click HERE

That roast pig looks way good!

Follow my build
Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the info - but the pig would have fallen to pieces if I had tried to turn it over - the meat just fell from the bone. I really don't care about the skin as I get a freaky 'guilt trip' even if I pull a bit of skin off a chicken and eat it!