Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: ***New Door Thermometer***

Don't laugh James, I was ready to fly to NY to dismantle and bring back a long arm embroidery machine for my wife late last year. It would have worked out much cheaper than buying through the agents, and I'm talking $15000!
She has since ordered a new one due next month from a different manufacturer.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: ***New Door Thermometer***

Well , just to pipe in , I am happy with my new door thermometer and to ship to canada turned it from $20 to more like $50 , but what the heck it was a xmas present for the oven [so it won't sulk about having to go through yet another winter under a tarp]
tim
Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: ***New Door Thermometer***

Tim,
I'm not sulking about the price, just the inconsistencies that exist.
I can get a 3kg book (the Silver Spoon) from the states to Australia for $35, 2 other books this week for around $24 yet a small thermometer costs $115!
Where is the parity, logic or whatever here.
Also James said:
Quote:
I'm surprised you got a quote. Our system is configured to not sell outside of North America
I'd like to find the reason(s) why.
I have found that buying from US ebay sellers that the postage costs are extreme and not viable (eg US $240 to post out a spiral dough hook when I got 2 posted halfway across Australia for $19) it's a joke and the sellers are paying for it in lost sales,
I got a price of $840 for a piece of equipment postage yet I can get an economy return air fare for close to that, to come over and collect it!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Of course Neill, the easiest solution to this problem is having inventory in Australia and selling in A$ locally. Which is what Forno Bravo Australia will be doing.

Give us just a little more time, and it will be easy to buy an FB oven locally -- for not much more than the cost of bricks and insulation.

James

Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Apprentice

Neill,.
i was not suggesting you were sulking , just my oven .
I used to buy a lot of books from the states on ABE books and now the shipping is always more than the book price , and the bookseller I talked to knew that he was losing sales . I am only 2 1/2hrs from the border.
Don't get me started about Fedex or Ups , they made more $ on my product [art pottery ] than I did over the years, It was the main reason I collapsed my number of galleries that used to span north america down to ones I could drive to .
Snow is still falling , have to dig out the WFO for bread tomorrow.
tim
Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finally got my door thermometer mounted.... Just drilled a hole and screwed it in, it comes with a wing nut, but the threads arent long enough.. But as i said,, you can screw it right into the door,,, (very easily) I drilled a 7/32 hole for the probe all the way thru the door, then a 1/4 inch hole at the entrance to the hole, about half an inch deep, then screwed it right into the door, which is wood covered by sheetmetal,

will try it out tonight, after pizza i want to throw in a pulled pork...

cheers
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Apprentice

Yes the threads are a little short for insulated doors, I recessed mine in and because I am recycling this door my hole is too big to screwing [good idea though] so I have stuffed the inner cavity with aluminum foil to hold it until i get my MarkII door together. It's pretty bogus but perhaps this is what I need to spur me to re do the door.
tim
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

ok,, the new thermometer is getting officially tested tonight... I just finished cooking pizzas, left the door off for half an hour,, Put in the pulled pork and the temp is at 400,, cant wait to wake up and see the heat differnence and eat some nice pulled pork for breakfast...

Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

So one more thing about the new FB thermometer , I can read it from 20ft away inside the house? And my eyes are not that great. yesterday after roasting 2 loads of coffee I plugged in the door and let the heat soak in prior to putting in the bread .. reading 650f. I can see the arrow from the warmth of the house.. great! I can see a whisp of smoke or steam coming out the chimney...wait a minute!! I run outside to find my door on fire! I've got a nice ember burning , right where it touches the top arch ... A bit of snow on the spot and all is well . but I really am going to have to get a new door!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Apprentice

OK, I had to go look this up , PYROPHORIC, in short , repeated heating of wood , in my case 5 years and several hundred oven cookings , make the wood ignite at lower than normal [451F?] temps . This caused many a chimney fire when structural wood was too close to the appliance/chimney for years, and while not quite spontaneous it was at the tipping point.
tim