Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Meatloaf

Many North Americans have what I consider to be an irrational attachment to ketchup. They put it on eggs, fried bologna (a whole other weird thing to me), and many things they might otherwise not wish to eat. It's like the magic cloak of sauces. "Don't like it? Put some ketchup on it and it'll be fine!"

I'm with Sarah. Burgers are the proper place for it. And maybe a little on hot dogs. And you know, thinking about it, I use it for the base for cocktail sauce for shrimp- I just like it better than chili sauce for that. Other than that, I just don't eat it.

I tried making it once, when I had tomatoes covering EVERY SINGLE COUNTER in my quite large kitchen. Afterwards, I decided that Heinz does a better job, and by the time you paid for the electricity to run the stove for hours on end to cook it down, you got off cheaper to buy it. Of course, now I have a wfo I could cook it down in- but I still don't eat enough of it to want to do it!

I'm looking forward to making apple butter and peach butter in the wfo, though. Someday when it's not 20 degrees out....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Apprentice

Possibly the most attention ketchup ever attracted: The Straight Dope: Did the Reagan-era USDA really classify ketchup as a vegetable?.

When I moved into my current place five years ago I bought a big bottle of ketchup because, well, you gotta have ketchup, right? Still got half of it.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Still got half of it.
It appears that you might not be getting your Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of fruits. If you need a "Reagan-style" supplement, might I recommend Skittles. I believe that they might be just as much a fruit as Ketchup is!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Meatloaf

Ketchup is tomato paste with some zing to it - and it's good.

Maybe not a whole veggie serving good, but still tasty. And very good on meatloaf.

Egalecki, if you ever again have an over abundance of tomatoes and don't want to ship them to me, use a slow cooker to make ketchup. Four hours on low will stew tomatoes - six and you have paste.

Fried bologna is delicious! Fried bologna on toasted rye with mustard - or ketchup - is awesome!!!!!

-Goes to fry some bologna-

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
We use a mixture of meats....beef, pork and veal.....wonder how a Lamb meatloaf would be?...
It's awesome. We usually use a roughly equal mix of beef, pork, and lamb, and it adds a really nice, sweet earthy flavor. I'm a huge fan of lamb, though. 100% lamb would be fine by me.

As far as the whole ketchup thing goes, we usually use a little sweet chili sauce instead of ketchup... caramelizes just as nicely, but has a little more zing.

I think I will have to recommend that chimichurri variation, though... sounds like a winner!

-Jamie

Last edited by cynon767; 01-21-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Many North Americans have what I consider to be an irrational attachment to ketchup.
"Irrational" is a very adult way of phasing the situation. I prefer to look at the attachment to ketchup as one of the last vestige of childhood comfort that adults are allowed to engage in. Ketchup is 'comforting' in the same way that thumb-sucking once was.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: Meatloaf

Tomato ketchup is good - but if it's not to your taste try one of the others...

Mushroom: Meatloaf-100px-mushroom_ketchup.jpg

Banana: Meatloaf-222px-banana_ketchup.jpg

Of course, virtually any veggie can be made into ketchup - but you knew that, right?

I admit, banana ketchup isn't high on my 'must try' list, but whatever floats your boat...

Ketchup: it's not just for French fries anymore - not that it ever was...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Meatloaf made of lamb and Italian sausage is my current fav. I threw in some curry and garam marsala a couple of months ago and the wife pitched a fit! The kids just added more ketchup and didn't complain at all.

Funny, now that you all mention it, I never eat the stuff either. Huh! Who knew?

-
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

It's always fun to see where these threads meander to, but in the spirit of the original topic title, may I remind everyone that Sunday is Robbie Burns Day and haggis is a meat loaf, too? A squeamish cook's guide to haggis - Times Online.

For the determined (or demented) there is a link there to a recipe. For the truly squeamish, I apologize in advance.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
but in the spirit of the original topic title, may I remind everyone that Sunday is Robbie Burns Day and haggis is a meat loaf, too?
Forgive me, but a mouth full of Haggis would be more than enough to make me want to renounce my Scottish ancestry!

EDIT: even if it were covered with a thick layer of ketchup