Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lobster? Has anyone roasted one/many?

When still a young girl my wifes brothers told her to put yabbies in cold water and bring to the boil.

When she first did it for the two of us you could hear them all tapping on the side of the pan to get out, I was horrified .

All her brothers could do was roll around laughing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Peasant

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions -- Lobster Snuff films and all! Because of rain, there I couldn't do a dry run (sorry!), so I ended up flying out to Kansas with 13 lobsters in tow hoping things would work out.

We froze the lobsters for about 20 minutes and then sliced them in half lengthwise and cleaned out the stomachs and other inner bits. A little gory, but we did the deed. Then we laid them out, meat side up, on two half-sheet pans. Basted each with garlic butter (LOTS of chopped garlic in the melted butter) and laid thin lemon slices on top. Put the pans into a 500 degree oven (measured at the floor -- the oven had already cleared and then cooled down; we left a small ring of coals around the edges). At five minutes, we rotated the pans. Five minutes more and we pulled them out.

As you can see from the picture below, the claws were a little charred, but the meat was uniformly moist - and very tasty. Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures of the cooking process.

We passed around the sauce from the Summer Shack recipe (in OP) -- only we didn't have any bourbon, so we used brandy. Also we added in the left-over butter/garlic.

We also had some freshly shucked oysters (brought from Seattle). Since folks had eaten their fill of the half-shell variety, we also cooked a couple of pans of those. Again, just fitted the half-shell oysters on a cookie sheet pan, poured a little of the Summer Shack sauce over each oyster and cooked them in the still-500 degree (floor temp) oven for about 5 minutes. Even those who prefer oysters on the half-shell said these were good.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Laborer

When we lived in Africa, we would have lobster parties quite regularly.

If you can get your hands on an old oil drum (the round, 200l types) - then it's dead simple. Fill the bottom with seaweed and sea water then rest the lobsters on top (so they aren't swimming in the water, but instead resting on top of seaweed).

Rest the whole contraption on some large rocks (or a purpose made tripod stand) and light a fire underneath. As the water boils, and rises out of the seaweed it'll steam the lobsters... yummmm....

(water and salt will do just fine - and I reckon you could keep the critters out of the water with a sieve or something similar...)

M.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Journeyman

Ive grilled them before (broiler)
cut in half butter garlic parsley salt pepper squeeze of lemon

Seaweed technique with sea water shallow dish could work in the wfo too
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Serf

I have a turkey fryer that I use far more often for lobster. A few inches of water in the pot, load about 10-12 lobsters into the basket, top with seaweed and lower into the boiling water. Perfect!