Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Roasting and Grilling (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   I must try Gyros (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/i-must-try-gyros-3141.html)

asudavew 12-31-2007 12:21 PM

I must try Gyros

1 Attachment(s)
In another thread, Jeff brought up cooking on a spit.

And I like gyros. The meat is made from a lamb/beef mixture (me thinks) And it's cooked on a spit. Seems like a great item to cook in my WFO.

Doe's anyone here have a recipe for gyros.

I am pretty handy at cooking the pitas. ;)

And I make a really good tsatsiki sauce.

But I have NEVER been able to duplicate the meat.

Help! I have a serious craving here, and no Greek food for 200 miles!

Happy 2008 New Year!

May life shine on all of you for the upcoming year!

Dave

gjbingham 12-31-2007 09:43 PM

Re: I must try Gyros

Dave:
Cooks.com - Recipe - Gyros

Let me know how it turns out.
G.

christo 01-01-2008 07:35 AM

Dave,

I had thought about putting a rotisserie in my oven, my initial plan was to drill/leave a 3/4 inch hole directly in the back of the oven and mount a bearing roughly the same size on the end of the spit. The motor and rotissiere would mount and reside out the door. I gave up on that idea as I felt it was impractical.

Then I thought a rotissere assy that would fit through the door opening as a unit and drive outside via a speedometer cable might work....

My new grill has a rotisserie so I did not take the idea any further!!!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Christo

rtnaw 01-01-2008 04:55 PM

Dave,

I love gyros, when my local county fair comes to town there is a genuine Greek stand that makes incredible gyros. Until that time comes, I use a recipe that I happened across while watching one of my favorite chefs on the food network-Alton Brown. If you go to Foodtv.com type gyros into the search field and look for the recipe by Alton Brown. I have made it several times with great success. They turn out quite well.

Thanks,
Tom

Acoma 01-01-2008 05:03 PM

Dave, those are so delicious! I may impliment one for my outdoor kitchen. So now it is: Smoker, charcoal grill, double burner for stews/ sauces, Gyro device. Talk about entertainment and fun! You need to get one.

asudavew 01-02-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtnaw (Post 21864)
Dave,

I love gyros, when my local county fair comes to town there is a genuine Greek stand that makes incredible gyros. Until that time comes, I use a recipe that I happened across while watching one of my favorite chefs on the food network-Alton Brown. If you go to Foodtv.com type gyros into the search field and look for the recipe by Alton Brown. I have made it several times with great success. They turn out quite well.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks a bunch.
I will try it out this weekend!

Dave

asudavew 01-02-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma (Post 21865)
Dave, those are so delicious! I may impliment one for my outdoor kitchen. So now it is: Smoker, charcoal grill, double burner for stews/ sauces, Gyro device. Talk about entertainment and fun! You need to get one.

Yes, WFOs are quite the mulititaskers!;)

So much more versatile than a grill, smoker, or home oven!
Quite unique.

:D

BaconGrease 01-02-2008 03:21 PM

I made the recipe from Alton Brown's Good eats on my rotisserie grill, Turned out very good.Food Network: Gyro Meat with Tzatziki Sauce

stuart 01-02-2008 08:22 PM

Hey Dave,

I love gyros and now you have me salivating at the thought of making my own at home. Can you share your recipe for pitas? I did find one at About.com but I'd like to hear more about cooking them in the WFO if you can give advice.

Stuart

Acoma 01-02-2008 09:23 PM

Stuart, it should not be long before Chef WFO (Dave) responds :)