Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: High Heat Wood Fired Roast Turkey

hi Joseph,
I prefer to take them out... I dont like too much of a smoke flavor.. I heated my oven for 6 hours,,,(prob overkill) and let it cook off reatined heat with the door on.. Others keep a small fire with flavored chips (mesquite) etc.. Its a personal choice I think..
Here is a link to my test drive...
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...rkey-7990.html (***Thanksgiving Turkey***)
Cheers
Mark
Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Peasant

Thanks Mike for the information. I don't like the smoke taste myself. Also, when you cook your food in it what temperature do you start at? Does it matter what size turkey it is for the start temperature?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Okay,, the Turkey was actually 13 lbs... Just wanted to add that for time reference

13 lbs.
1 hour 35 Mins..
I know thats only 7.5 mins per pound,, But it was cooked all the way thru and checked with a meat thermometer
700 (f) degrees going in
550 (f) coming out
Put it in with foil on and took the foil off for the last 10 min...
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Peasant

Hi Tarik,

When you cooked your turkey in the oven with the coals and added wood later did you have the door closed and does it come out tasting smokey?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Default A Cautionary Tale

I REALLY should have read this thread before this last Thanksgiving!

OK, here's the story. A week or two before T-day, I fired up the oven for pizzas and apps. The neighbors were over, and we served up yet another great night of WFO delicacies. I had purchased a chicken that day, and as the wine flowed we all decided to throw the bird (a small fryer) in the WFO and see what happened. Some simple salt & pepper, a little Italian spice mix, and a quick EVOO rub. The wood had burned down to active coals. After 45 minutes, we were rewarded with CHICKEN NIRVANA.

So for Thanksgiving, I thought we would do an experimental turkey by the same method. Thankfully (pun intended) we also roasted one in the traditional way. The turkey went in, and after 75 minutes I went to check on it (OK OK I was distracted by the company, the wine, the mulled cider, the antepasto....) figuring that it might need another hour or so.

I was greeted by this:

High Heat Wood Fired Roast Turkey-img_0320.jpg

Actually, once we peeled off the char, it was quite delicious - but it did get a good laugh when I jiggled a leg and it crumbled, followed by smoke pouring out of the bone!

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Laborer

Oh dear - that's what happens when wine flows! Glad the meat under was ok!
I am always very apprehensive of eating anything that has been charred due to 'cancer links'. Here in Greece we are always being warned of this due to the high use of BBQ'ing.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimenia View Post
I am always very apprehensive of eating anything that has been charred due to 'cancer links'. Here in Greece we are always being warned of this due to the high use of BBQ'ing.
Whats the cancer link?
Is carbon cancerous?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Laborer

Charred (overcooked/burnt) food produces carcinogens - there is a link to cancer from this
Charred Meat May Increase Risk Of Pancreatic Cancer
This study shows the link to pancreatic cancer

BBC News - Well-done meat doubles bladder cancer risk (bladder cancer)

There are so many things we do/eat that ups our chances that adding another (avoidable) one to the list is silly - I'd rather set my risk level according to the amount of wine I can guzzle in one sitting! ;-)
Old 12-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well it must be true, its on the internet......

Old 12-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Laborer

lol - I can't point you in the direction of a doctor or book so take it with a pinch of salt if that's what you want. I heard about it before internet days.