Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Help..cooking a 7.5kg whole turkey for the 1st time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrice View Post
I see you did not remove the fire. Did you roast with the door open or closed?
Hi Karl,
No, I didnt remove the fire...I let it burn down to coals, added a small piece of wood to it about half way through. I left the door off with the turkey, but when I cooked the beef roast overnight, the fire was burned out and I put the door on. I guess if you wanted to slow cook the turkey, you could remove the coals and put the door on. Being my first time I cooked one, I wanted to do it with a small fire. Oh...when the turkey was done, I pulled the tin foil off and put it back in....the fire help to really brown up the skin...turned out to be really crunchie!!

Scott
Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Laborer

Thanks. Did the fire being on one side cause any problems? Did you turn the bird to equalize this?

Did you get much smoke flavor in the turkey? I've done some chickens, and one turkey, but only after removing the fire and baking some bread. I'm wondering if leaving the fire in would smoke the turnkey some.

Karl
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was just searching smoked turkey this morning on FB and found your thread here. I realized you were roasting the turkey for thanksgiving (looked great! btw) however I'm defrosting a turkey right now to smoke it in my wfo this Saturday. I plan on leaving coals in, adding wood chips and roasting on the low temp-long hours with sealed up door methode....we'll see...

I found Bandrasco post on his Smoke Turkey here (post 251):
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ba...n-5443-26.html (BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!)
if anyone is interested on how much wood he put in and left in to 'smoke' it.

Since it will be my first fully smoked bird in the wfo I'll be posting on my thread or here to let you know how it turns out .

cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Apprentice

Hi Dino,
It wasnt for thanksgiving...dont many people in oz who celebrate it...was for my birthday last weekend (getitng old now ). Smoking the turkey would create wicked flavours...you will have to provide pics and what type of wood chips you used. Will be good to see the outcome!

Karl, I think I turned the turkey twice...maybe every 50 mins or so...also used that time to give it a quick drizzle with its juices. The fire wasnt going off....just a small smolder. I think it did add some smokey flavour to some degree...but nothing like when you throw chips in and shut the door. I think my next one will be smoked...will have to wait and see how Dinos' comes out

Scott

Last edited by scottz; 01-14-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Master Builder

Hi Dino,

Good luck with your first smoked turkey, bear in mind that a turkey has a delicate flavor, I would suggest a fruit or nut wood for first time, I really like cherry. Try to keep you smoking chips or logs hydrated, don't allow them to burn or the meat will become bitter. You can also smoke with herbs, my family love the flavor of rosemary smoked turkey. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is the results of my 1st wfo turkey: It was a small 8lb bird. I started with a bowl for fresh cut fruit wood:

Fresh cut dormant winter: Cherry, Plum, Woody Basil, Citrus and some grape-vines and grape stems and pear. I rinsed them, then got my fire to 600 deg in in hour. It was actually too hot for a true slow smoke. But I mopped the floor and was going to put a cold tray of water on it so I assumed it would cool down more than it did. I used a dry rub:

And also put tray of bbq covered chicken wings too.

The fire was just a pile of mostly red coal chunks, ash and a very tiny flame that went out went the wood chunks went in. I closed the door and 2.5 hours later, it was a tad over-cooked but really moist and smokey and just plain delicious. Turkey is an EXCELLENT meat to smoke. Its distinctive flavor really takes on the smoke nicely. Next time, I'll only fire to a low, 350 max which should drop it to 200-250 at some point in the 2-3 hours.

The fresh wood worked quite well.

And here are the wings:

Oh, by the way Scott, happy belated birthday to you!, Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

Once you do the "low and slow" smoke on your turkey, Dino, you'll never go back to faster roasting. We smoke a turkey every year at Thanksgiving, and it's the first to get eaten.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

I have an old whiskey barrel that the local microbrewery used to age a batch of Stout and i'm going to cut it up for smoking chips. my door should be finished by next week and i have 2 turkeys in the freezer. i can't wait to give this a try....