Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: brisket in wood fire oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is a crappy, stringy piece of meat that you can turn into Heaven if you cook it right.
Like stone soup.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I second all the above descriptions.
In the old south the poorer cuts of meat were left for the "less fortunate" ie: slave or the vast majority of the free population. Workers toiled in the fields during the day. Smoked meats BBQ, "brisket" etc. were cooked low and slow while everyone was at work. This was done outside mostly due to the extreme heat of the summers. When the work was finally over for the day, the workers retired to a feast which (the enjoyment of which) was kept as treasured secret from the "more fortunate"
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, same as skirt steak, which used to be dirt cheap. Now Fajitas cost as much as steak.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Serf

When I smoke a brisket, I put a pork butt on the shelf above, the fat coming off helps keep the brisket moist. I'm even newer to WFO, so i have no idea how to accomplish that here... but I will think about it. I generally smoke a whole brisket (14-16 lbs) at 200-205F and it goes about 20 hours.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cooking it in the WFO is more like sous-vide than smoking. I char it on the grill, then put it in a big lidded pot half full of liquid (fat up) starting it at 250-300 and letting it go all day. edit-I will leave the door off until it goes to 200 then door it back up.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 05-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Master Builder

Brickie, we take a cut off a sheep that we call brisket, too. Unfortunately, unlike beef brisket it really is a poor cut - more fat than meat. But I take that, and the neck, little bits and pieces from the rest of the forequarter, trim a fair bit of the fat off, and make lamb stew. I will probably use something like that for my first go at cooking something other than pizza. Before I risk the shanks from the last sheep we killed. I was in love with roast lamb shanks long before the TV chefs got hold of them.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Master Builder

P.S. stone soup, would that be like granma's recipe for cooking galahs? you know the one, boil your galah up in a kerosine tin with a stone in the water, and when the stone is soft, throw the galah away and eat the stone?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Laborer

i see most of these posts are from several yrs ago. But I have a big pizza gathering Sat nite(about 30 pizzas) and then I would like to put a small 4lb brisket trimmed flat in the oven for the rest of the nite to be ready sometime in the am. Obviously I will have to remove the coals to get temp down to 225 degrees. My questions are: If I start it at that temp, will it remain there overnite?? My stainless steel lid is double thick with a layer of highheat insulation(up to 1200 degrees) welded inside of it. But due to the roughness of the brick opening, it is not exactly airtight. Secondly, is that brisket too small to leave in overnite in the brick oven?? Most mornings after a pizza cook, my oven is still between 4-500 degrees by 10 am. So, not sure I can get it cool enough prior to midnite. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the brisket cooking.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Laborer

Doug,

Thx for the quick response. Sounds like several good ideas. What struck me was, maybe waiting until the morning, then cooling the oven down, putting the brisket in and let it cook all day. That way the brisket will be ready by supper instead of breakfast~~!! Should have thought of that earlier. Just hope it will hold its heat that long.
Again, thanks for the imput.

Jim Bob
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When I have done brisket, I have done it on day three, starting around 275-300 and letting it run down.

Tags
bbq, beef, brisket, pizza, wood