Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Beef to go with your bread?

Egalecki: okay, that big I'd probably have to search around the base of a dam. Of course, there I'd be more worried about being eaten by the giant catfish...

Brian: I hope you're right. That would be one huge crayfish...

I live inland, but I can guarantee you our price for lobster isn’t much higher

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]

Last edited by Archena; 12-29-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Has to be a form of lobster.....that sucker was 18+ lbs. A local restaurant actually serves Aussie lobster, I've had it twice and in my opinion it is much sweeter/tastier than Maine lobster. Fortunately, both times were company meetings and I didn't have to pay the bill - I think it was $44 for a 1 1/2 tail or 2 smaller tails equaling 1 1/2 lbs.

Neill, where can I get one of these 8 kilo critters? Might as well order a couple of them at the same time I order a $2200 rib roast.....The ultimate "serf and terf".

RT
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

RT, don't forget dessert...

World's Most Expensive Desserts - ForbesTraveler.com

I’d go with the cheapie. I realize it’s only $6,000 a pound, but there’s nothing like fungi dug up by a pig snout to round out a meal…

[/CENTER]

Last edited by Archena; 12-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ack! Maybe he did mean crayfish...

Big Crayfish

[/CENTER]
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Beef to go with your bread?

The crayfish are deep salt water ones caught of the south east coast of South Australia from towns like Robe and Kingston.
They have a short season for their cray pots but get some rather large examples. It was down off the coast south of Mount Gambier on the border with Victoria (go on get out your atlases and check the locations out) that a huge deep water squid was caught which was around 12 metres long and weighed a 245Kg. It was sent to the Museum in Melbourne (the capital of the state of Victoria)
See: Museum Victoria: Public dissection of giant squid

Here is a U tube of a 15 lb crayfish:

YouTube - Roland's Giant Lobster!! 15Lbs HUGE!

Unfortunately, most of our wonderful sea food is shipped to japan where they pay a premium and so we have to as well. The Blue fin tuna are caught several hundred km off the coast and put into huge floating pens (some 100 metres in diameter and towed back to shore at Pt Lincoln where they are fattened and sold for up to $1000/kg. In fact Pt Lincoln has the highest number of multi-millionaires than anywherer else in Australia, all fishing industries.

Archena
we also have the Marron which is like an overgrown Yabbie (or as you call them fresh water lobsters) and also from the tropical waters, the Morton Bay Bugs. Do a Google search of these to compare to your 'crayfish'.

RT,
the best place I found to get really fresh living crayfish is down at a place called Port Turton on the Southern Yorke Peninsula straight off their cray boats. The centre section of the large wooden cray boats have hundreds of 2" holes drilled through the hull to continually flow fresh salt water through the catch and the crayfish are kept live for the premium markets. With a bit of cash, the skippers will sometimes sell you what you want at a much fairer price.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nissanneill; 12-29-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Peasant

I guess most of you who have had the little "mud bug" crayfish are familiar with the tradition of sucking the head - I haven't really been able to embrass that particular part of the ritual. I don't really see that happening in this case, but it'd be a shame to waste any of it.
btw- Australia seems to be the only place I've seem my last name used with any frequency - Turton. Don't see that a lot around the states.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Southern English Primer:

Crawfish: Crayfish

Crayfish: freshwater

Lobster: salt water.

14 Inch Crayfish: fish tale; Texas delusion; subject of bad horror movie.

Crawdad: a less formal crawfish.

I did check out the Marron - yet another reason why Australia is a scary place! I'd hate to come across one of those wading in a pool.

[/CENTER]