Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Hearth Bread and Flatbread

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Working on my Sourdough boules

The long proof is because it was supposed to be baked saturday morning, but I was leaving early for the weekend and didn't have time!

Can you expand on what looks odd about the crust? I know I keep getting those white dots - but anything else? Trying to improve here

thx
Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 05-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Master Builder

It's not easy to say what looks odd so look at this link

Baking Bread in Cast Iron - No Preheat Method - Photos! | The Fresh Loaf

The picture in the link is beautiful. It has nice blistering, color and scoring. You can see that the dough had good surface tension when it got slashed. So it has a nice smooth crust.

Your crust looks to have a lack of surface tension. Surface tension is greatly affected by gluten development. So the longer the dough sits the more the the dough breaks down and there is no way of reversing this. Also the old dough goes high in acid and lower in sugars so you won't get that nice browning.

Be sure to read that link also. It has some great information.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 05-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I think the overproofing probably affected the surface tension.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I have been baking in a preheated DO, and I do find it hard to get the dough into the oven. I have tried parchment paper, with odd results, and flipping over the bowl in which it has been rising, which doesn't work well either. I'll try the cold DO approach next time. But it also seems like I need to work on my proofing.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

You might consider switching from a cold proof to a cold bulk fermentation. That is, put it in the fridge before you shape it, and shape it the day you intend to bake. This will be more forgiving if you want to leave the dough in the fridge for a few days (though 5 days is going to be overkill no matter what).

Let the dough rise in bulk for 3-4 hours before retarding. On bake day, divide and pre-shape the loaves immediately after getting the dough out, then let it sit for an hour before a final shape. For sourdough, it will then need around 1.5 hours to proof after final shaping.

This goes double if you're shooting for a fairly wet dough. Wet dough is much, much less sticky when cold. I can easily shape a pain a l'ancienne dough at 80% hydration into boules or even baguettes if I do it straight out of the fridge, and it's no more challenging than working with a 65% hydration dough at room temperature.

If you poke around on TheFreshLoaf forum that Faith linked to, you'll find mention of David Snyder's San Joaquin Sourdough, which uses this "cold-shaping" method (or did when I last frequented that forum--he may have updated it since!).
Faith In Virginia likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a quick update on my boule baking progress. I switched to the recipe for "Tartine Country Bread" from Chad Robertson @ 70% hydration - and also changed the baking method to 20 minutes with the top on/15-20 minutes off (as per the recipe).

I made two loaves last weekend and had great results.
Working on my Sourdough boules-2013-12-24-18.51.50.jpg

Old 06-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Working on my Sourdough boules-2014-05-03-19.06.50-800x600-.jpg

Here's my latest. Same recipe, better proofing and longer time in the oven with the top off the dutch oven.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

DJ,

Very nice looking boules, a little butter and jam and I would be in heaven.